Watch out for RED LIGHT runners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So glad she is going to be ok and she had all that protection around her. She may never drive another GM, other than the Escalade, knowing she has a fighting chance inside one of them.

@VTHokie, I do see where you are coming from with the waiting. But not that long. I hesitate for approximately 2-4 seconds because of what almost happened to me about 4 years ago. I was at a very busy intersection in Eugene, Or. and my light turned green and for some reason I hesitated for 2 seconds and the car behind me honked their horn. I started off a little quicker than I normally do to get the hell going. I saw it out of my left vision, a large Ford Expedition SUV coming at a speed that I knew was not going to stop on their red light. I quickly tapped brakes for the vehicle behind me and veered left because I knew I was safer there because the oncoming traffic from the other side got a longer view of the lady on a CELL PHONE blasting thru the red light. I got stopped and laid on the horn and so did several others and the lady never ever looked up.

From that point on, I was even more aware of ALL drivers around me and I PLANNED ON ALL DRIVERS TO MESS UP AND COME AT ME ! I am a very defensive driver around other vehicles. Drive it like I stole it when I am in wide open spaces.

So, yea, a hesitation at a green light, even if you get a honk or two, is ok but keep the eyes moving at all times. Stay off the damn phone. Above all else, plan on the others around you to be idiots and mess up.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, my sister used to live in Carmel, IN and I could NOT believe how many red light runners I saw down there. It really caught my attention. She warned me about it.....And I mean people flying 3-5 seconds after it changed....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With the loss of police in many cities and infractions/crimes being overlooked in many cases because of lack of man power and the liberal sweep thru police districts, it is a recipe for things like this and disasters that are surely coming and already happening. People are just not afraid of doing red light running like they used to be. The public thinks and knows it can get away with these things and nothing is likely to happen.

In about a year's time I am going to be leaving this hell hole of a city and state, was not like this 26 years ago when I came here, and moving back to Mo. in a small town southeast of KC, Mo. and northeast of The Ozarks/Springfield area. Quiet town for sure compared to crap show, literally crap/piss, called Eugene.

Cities?????????? Who the hell needs 'em??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone is ok!
And yeah, i learned how important it is to look both ways before i proceed.
I also like to watch when just approaching an intersection.
(I think that's in the drivers ed book/basics).
Easy to forget it tho.

Something i really remember when driving something that i put a ton of work into.

I learned a few years ago how important a dash cam is.
I kept running into crazy people on the freeway that wanted to play the blame game when they do some road rage bs.

Final straw was when i got rage rear-ended one morning in my vette.
I guess he was moody and didn't like the sound.
Him: "you hit me"

I had to bluff that i had a camera in the vette to get him to even pull over.

I ordered a dash cam with front and rear vid that day.

All of my vehicles get them now.

What i really want now is a dash cam that can also capture the sides.
But that will probably be a second camera system... lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad she is ok! We just moved from an extremely rural area to a metro and I have warned my wife that she needs to wait a good 20-30 seconds after the light changes to go. Been working in this area for 7 years and witnessed too many people blowing through red lights.
Please don't do that. 20-30 seconds after the light changes is almost as unsafe as running a red light and so annoying. That limits how many others behind you make it through. Just make a habit of looking at the cross traffic, both before your light changes to green and right as it does. If you practice defensive driving you'll be fine. But there's no need to sit at a green light.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Please don't do that. 20-30 seconds after the light changes is almost as unsafe as running a red light and so annoying. That limits how many others behind you make it through. Just make a habit of looking at the cross traffic, both before your light changes to green and right as it does. If you practice defensive driving you'll be fine. But there's no need to sit at a green light.
I agree! Be aware of whats going on before the light turns green. A red light is still not the time for that quick text.

Be alert and on the ball when your driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe