Watch out for RED LIGHT runners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that she was hit into the curb and the Esca rolled 2-3 times,

And it still has side windows!

Late yesterday morning, I was headed to a job in New Orleans. I was stopped at the light at the end of the exit ramp from I-10, first in line. It was a very wide intersection under the freeway and I saw the cross traffic coming to a stop, so I knew I was about to get a green arrow (turning left to go under the freeway). I got my arrows and proceeded as I still watched the other cars. All the cars had stopped except for a small sedan- Elantra, Jetta, etc.). The guy and his wife were both looking down at their laps and maintaining their speed- no braking or anything. I had to double check to make sure I actually did have green arrows. By the time I looked back towards them, they zipped past, still looking down.

Had I not been paying attention, they would've been seriously injured if not killed, and never would've seen it coming. Being in a cargo van, I would've been hurt, but likely nothing life-threatening.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be observant is the best advice. My dash cam has captured several accidents, here is a 'red light' runner about 47 sec into the clip, look for the small SUV turning left under the underpass. I gave a copy of the video to the guy driving the brand new pick-up so there would not be any doubt , you can see the light is still red for the SUV.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be observant is the best advice. My dash cam has captured several accidents, here is a 'red light' runner about 47 sec into the clip, look for the small SUV turning left under the underpass. I gave a copy of the video to the guy driving the brand new pick-up so there would not be any doubt , you can see the light is still red for the SUV.
What are y’all using for dash cams?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

I am a firm believer in these trucks from a safety standpoint. When in high school, our daughter was involved in an accident driving our old Suburban. The guy that hit her went to the hospital in an ambulance and his car was toast. Our daughter drove the Suburban home after all the police had finished getting the information they wanted. The Burb was down for a week at the body shop, most of the time waiting for parts.

When we sold that truck my wife and daughter cried.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are y’all using for dash cams?
I researched the market at the time for Dash Cams, but I did not want one that stuck to the windshield or on top of the dash ( too easy to see and to steal). I wanted front and rear camera, High resolution. I found a unit from KD Links, It mounts over your rear view mirror, its hard to tell that I is dash cam. You can see front view or rear view or PnP both, either case both are being recorded. The rear camera can be installed to be not only a rear cam but when you shift into reverse it will give you back-up camera guide lines. I will give you the link to their web page, but you can get it on Amazon for around $89.00 (last I checked), they have a top-notch customer/Tech service. Five Star review from me. There are several good YouTube “how to installs” to hide your power cable and rear camera cable.

I only have two ‘cons’ in my review; 1. The rear camera is not water proof and has to be mounted inside on the rear window. 2. The unit that mounts over your rearview mirror has great resolution for both camera views but it just does not have as clear view as a rear-view mirror, being used to driving freight trucks I got used to using the outside rearview mirrors. The same when I am in the Tahoe. So that is not a big negative for me but I thought I would mention it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I researched the market at the time for Dash Cams, but I did not want one that stuck to the windshield or on top of the dash ( too easy to see and to steal). I wanted front and rear camera, High resolution. I found a unit from KD Links, It mounts over your rear view mirror, its hard to tell that I is dash cam. You can see front view or rear view or PnP both, either case both are being recorded. The rear camera can be installed to be not only a rear cam but when you shift into reverse it will give you back-up camera guide lines. I will give you the link to their web page, but you can get it on Amazon for around $89.00 (last I checked), they have a top-notch customer/Tech service. Five Star review from me. There are several good YouTube “how to installs” to hide your power cable and rear camera cable.

I only have two ‘cons’ in my review; 1. The rear camera is not water proof and has to be mounted inside on the rear window. 2. The unit that mounts over your rearview mirror has great resolution for both camera views but it just does not have as clear view as a rear-view mirror, being used to driving freight trucks I got used to using the outside rearview mirrors. The same when I am in the Tahoe. So that is not a big negative for me but I thought I would mention it.

Thank you. Might be time for me to invest.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Might be time for me to invest.
Yep, you never need it til you need it. Plus it provides some pretty good video of 'road trips' through the countryside. It also can take snapshots that will not be overwritten until you delete them. This was an interesting snapshot during a sunset drive home, I just clicked the dashcam to save.The Cross on Hwy 99_Moment.jpg

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My company uses a dashcam which has the ability to have side cameras. But the camera is big and bulky, designed to stick on the windshield.

We dont use the side cameras, but it does have inputs for 3 additional cameras.

The other problem with them, they are EXPENSIVE. Like 1000 bucks, and that only gives you forward and inward facing cameras. Still would have to buy the side mount cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons