Volant CAI Model 152536 and Ram Air Model 35753 complete Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bacin87

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a first year NNBS 2007. I will do the new mass air sensor next. Incase you get to it before me. Take pics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CharlesP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why do you need to do a new MAF sensor? I haven't heard of this. The OEM MAF sensor works with your new CAI, right?

OP
OP
bacin87

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no the stock works fine. You're getting a lot more air into the car via the ram air and cai so you want to have a better sensor that could process the extra data and allow more air in for the better gas mileage. At least that's what I've read on other forms.

CharlesP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, interesting. I haven't read or heard that. I only have the CAI, not the ram. The stock MAF sensor seems to be working fine. I have a custom BlackBear Performance setup with the AutoCal and have had a lot of back and forth with Justin at BBP, and no mention of a different MAF sensor was ever made. I definitely see your point, though.

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no the stock works fine. You're getting a lot more air into the car via the ram air and cai so you want to have a better sensor that could process the extra data and allow more air in for the better gas mileage. At least that's what I've read on other forms.

this is 100% completely false. how would you car even know what to do with the "extra data" without a custom efi live tune? There are only different versions of the factory MAF. The most benefit you will see is having your truck EFI Live tuned after doing the intake install. But you still won't see any crazy gains just from an intake.

everything you could ever want to know is here
http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253958

OP
OP
bacin87

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was assuming that you would have the vehicle tuned also. I like to learn from experience and again I did say that's what I read and because of it I shal try it. Nore did I mention crazy gains but the mfg did said with the the CAI and ram you get a slight boost in mpg and hp.I have not had it dynoed so I cant speak on hp gains, butI have seen a slight boost around 2.2 mpg and I am doing a cross country trip with a trailer (6x12 uhaul) and will report on a better ride while hauling. The purpose of the forum is to share info you read not jump down people's throat.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

They also have had that article in the performance section for a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The OEM MAF is good for 550+HP, no need to swap it out. Most of our customers that have an aftermarket MAF, have issues within their vehicle, due to running too lean or too rich.

The aftermarket MAFs are not calibrated the same as the stock MAF. So, for a given volume of air, the aftermarket MAF will underreport that volume, this causes the PCM to increase ignition timing slightly, which is the resulting increase in power.

When tuning for an aftermarket MAF, the PCM will be recalibrated so that the MAF reports correctly (or close to correctly), thus leaving no real benefit to the aftermarket MAF. Descreening has the same effect as an aftermarket, and has no benefit other than underreporting the incoming air.

More food for thought: there are a few aftermarket brand MAFs, that are just OEM junkyard MAFs with a sensor punched out of it....

OP
OP
bacin87

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great information Jenna Bear thanks for the clarification on tge issue. Would you consider a aftermarket worth a swap out given the power incase? Or would you sacrifice mpgs in exchange for power?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have a long ways to go before needing anything more than the OEM MAF. I was running right around 550HP on my 5.3L Tahoe, but that was with LTs, cam, and 11psi on a Radix. An intake really doesn't give you much HP wise.

Personally, I would never go with an aftermarket MAF. If it is really needed, and you are pushing tons of power, you could always switch to speed density. Until then, stick to the OEM, and save your money for other go fast goodies!

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I read somewhere that this ram air can cause a Engine light? Every hear of this Jenna?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevymec