Visor mirror hinge broken...light on...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my vanity mirror hinge on my '97 Tahoe broke (first time I've opened it in maybe a year) and so I loosely set the door back on to try and keep the light off (and killing my battery).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do any of the following:
a) Make the door stay in place and keep the light off
b) disconnect the light altogether
c) Find a decent replacement that won't break the bank.

I have dark blue interior so stuff is a bit hard to find. Really appreciate any guidance...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of them on the internet. I’d say eBay or a junk yard are your best bet unless you want to buy one and paint it. The only way I know to close it for good is glue or tape or maybe some rtv. Can you see enough of the wire to disconnect it?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of them on the internet. I’d say eBay or a junk yard are your best bet unless you want to buy one and paint it. The only way I know to close it for good is glue or tape or maybe some rtv. Can you see enough of the wire to disconnect it?

I have blue interior (and cloth). I've looked so far and almost found nothing on ebay (that doesn't look awful or matches) and still no luck in junkyards either. I haven't even tried to get to the wire yet.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple to disable. Remove the 3 screws holding the visor to the roof. As the visor lowers, you'll see a small (maybe 1/2" diameter) hole in the roof. That's where the connector for the visor light is. Pull the wires out 'til you have the connector, and unplug it.

5 minute job.

joe

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still want a functioning light replacement you may need to paint with interior paint. It is a hard color to find.

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Used it only once in a year...Go with Homesicks recommendation and disable it.

BillyBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, my vanity mirror hinge on my '97 Tahoe broke (first time I've opened it in maybe a year) and so I loosely set the door back on to try and keep the light off (and killing my battery).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do any of the following:
a) Make the door stay in place and keep the light off
b) disconnect the light altogether
c) Find a decent replacement that won't break the bank.

I have dark blue interior so stuff is a bit hard to find. Really appreciate any guidance...

BillyBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a place to purchase just the vanity? I had my roof recovered and the upholsterer can do the same for the visors but, both visor door plastic hinge clips are broken due to a very poor engineering design.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think at GM parts direct but certainly on eBay or a local wrecking yard.

BillyBoy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been searching Ebay for the last 4 months. You can not buy from GM as they do not make them anymore. I did find 1 at a dealer... left side only at $164.00 + shipping. The proble is the plastic pin rides on a metal spring and the plastic ages and breaks. Very poor engineering by GM.

I have been searching for just the vanity assembly for months on the internet. I see a lot of others searching... looks like China would want to make aftermarkets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645