Vehicle feels like it is going over bumps on slow coast from a dead stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yesterday I was in Reno for my wife’s doctors appointment and I went to pick up McDonalds for my daughter since she was asking for a happy meal. Anyways when I was in the drive through, when it was time to move up in line, this feeling of going over bumps after I let off the brake to move forward would occur. It would feel like if I was going over rumble strips or something. No weird noises or anything. It only does it when inching toward using the idle engine power to move the vehicle forward like when moving up in a drive through from a dead stop. When doing normal acceleration from a stop I don’t fell anything. Is this the abs kicking on and I need new hubs? Is this a torque converter issue? I can’t seem to find anything in the internet of this issue. You can feel it sitting in the front. My wife was In the second row and said she couldn’t feel anything. This for a 2003 Yukon xl 4x4. If anyone has experienced this, please share your experience and how to remedy this problem. Thanks!

Its through the whole truck. My foot was not on the brake at all.

Now I am just a bit confused. You said your wife was in the second row and felt nothing. Now you are saying it is through the whole truck. Am I missing something.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad ujoint, bad rear end, transmission, transfer case, bent wheel, stuck brake caliper, warped rotor, maybe even a bad wheel bearing, or worn out steering components. you need to do some inspection, could even be a bad tire (flat spot/bubble)

ferrelbirdjr408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey just an idea to help you out I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.0L 4x4 and I had some work to do with this beast since I got it for free from a buddy. And I've had my experience and happiness to learn different noises in my truck. One noise we experienced before we got it was a loud noise that sounded like exhaust pipe noise but turned out a loss flywheel bolt that bolts to the torque converter. And another after the first 8 months was found after replacing the front brake pads that was first thought to be the front axle and the 4wd system but was actually the passenger front hub bearings was really shot. And this noise vibrated throughout the front frame of this truck would I thought it was torsion bars or suspension. But it happened mostly from a stand still from a stop light. I hope this helps you I also have a blog if you'd like to check it out?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey just an idea to help you out I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 6.0L 4x4 and I had some work to do with this beast since I got it for free from a buddy. And I've had my experience and happiness to learn different noises in my truck. One noise we experienced before we got it was a loud noise that sounded like exhaust pipe noise but turned out a loss flywheel bolt that bolts to the torque converter. And another after the first 8 months was found after replacing the front brake pads that was first thought to be the front axle and the 4wd system but was actually the passenger front hub bearings was really shot. And this noise vibrated throughout the front frame of this truck would I thought it was torsion bars or suspension. But it happened mostly from a stand still from a stop light. I hope this helps you I also have a blog if you'd like to check it out?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I do hear an exhaust pipe popping sound when the truck is in park idling. It’s always done this since I got it in February this year. Did yours do the same thing as well for the torque converter bolts? I also have a leaking axle seal I noticed the other day when changing the oil on front passenger side. Would that cause this?

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad ujoint, bad rear end, transmission, transfer case, bent wheel, stuck brake caliper, warped rotor, maybe even a bad wheel bearing, or worn out steering components. you need to do some inspection, could even be a bad tire (flat spot/bubble)
I know the tires are good since they are new. The shocks in the front are bad. I know this because I tire wear. Would a bad shock cause this?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would doubt a shock when you are only moving at idle speed and in a food drive thru line and feels like a rumble strip. So many things it could be though. I also understand about the service writer/wife reference. Let her drive and you get in the back and see what happens.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be a lot of things like I mentioned, take it for a oil change at the dealer and ask for a multi point inspection they usually do those for free, just tell them what is it doing, doesn't mean you are obligated to have them fix it but if they find the problem they will advise you.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
If anyone has experienced this, please share your experience and how to remedy this problem. Thanks!

BAD tire

two or more of the tires have bubble or tread separation.
could be a BAD batch..

also check the tires for rocks they can do the same thing...
If you have magnetic ride that is normal

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364