Vehicle feels like it is going over bumps on slow coast from a dead stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would doubt a shock when you are only moving at idle speed and in a food drive thru line and feels like a rumble strip. So many things it could be though. I also understand about the service writer/wife reference. Let her drive and you get in the back and see what happens.
We took it out today to the store. She thinks it’s misfiring. Doesn’t want me to fix it. She just wants me to keep changing the oil and rotate tires lol.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAD tire

two or more of the tires have bubble or tread separation.
could be a BAD batch..

also check the tires for rocks they can do the same thing...
If you have magnetic ride that is normal

I took it out today. It feels more like a misfire from a stop.

ferrelbirdjr408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On your front axle seal leaking you may want to check out your front seals mine has been leaking also. I have to replace mine to it going to be a big job on this but will be worth it and this is located where your CV Axles go into your front differential! I haven't priced the parts or had the time for it yet. But if you do fix your own trucks flexplate bolts check to make sure it hasn't worn through the engine backside or make a grove from the bolt(s) if this is your problem. You can see my repair on this job on my burb on our blog named inspiredloveforcars.com under diagnosing loud noise in 2001 Chevy Suburban

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

ferrelbirdjr408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My exhaust noise was actually the loose bolts on the flexplate. But it sounds like you may have a bad coil or misfiring sparkplugs you may also have a valve cove leak that is fowling out you plug wires or the plugs themselves.

ferrelbirdjr408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know the tires are good since they are new. The shocks in the front are bad. I know this because I tire wear. Would a bad shock cause this?
My father has brought me up with a quote I have taught to many other friends! Just because a part is new doesn't mean it is. And because you have new tires doesn't mean they dont have a defect in them! Or you replaced a part and you check it off as New you shouldn't believe it's fine. Check it again I had a close friend that bought a alternator for his Honda accord and was still having problems so he came to me I told him this quote so we took it off and had it tested again and it was shot. He was so surprised and grateful. And never was leaving with a new part like this again without testing it before he leaves for the store.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your front axle seal leaking you may want to check out your front seals mine has been leaking also. I have to replace mine to it going to be a big job on this but will be worth it and this is located where your CV Axles go into your front differential! I haven't priced the parts or had the time for it yet. But if you do fix your own trucks flexplate bolts check to make sure it hasn't worn through the engine backside or make a grove from the bolt(s) if this is your problem. You can see my repair on this job on my burb on our blog named inspiredloveforcars.com under diagnosing loud noise in 2001 Chevy Suburban

My exhaust noise was actually the loose bolts on the flexplate. But it sounds like you may have a bad coil or misfiring sparkplugs you may also have a valve cove leak that is fowling out you plug wires or the plugs themselves.

My father has brought me up with a quote I have taught to many other friends! Just because a part is new doesn't mean it is. And because you have new tires doesn't mean they dont have a defect in them! Or you replaced a part and you check it off as New you shouldn't believe it's fine. Check it again I had a close friend that bought a alternator for his Honda accord and was still having problems so he came to me I told him this quote so we took it off and had it tested again and it was shot. He was so surprised and grateful. And never was leaving with a new part like this again without testing it before he leaves for the store.

So I was driving around today and this issue does not occur in reverse. Only in drive. I am going to rule out driveline stuff and tranny issues. At idle in park it is a little rough. I am thinking the plugs are worn and the wires are worn since I have no idea when they were last changed. It could have been 50k ago or like 115k ago. I have no idea since I paid cash at a dealership for this rig. I also forgot to mention one of the roller lifters decided to start going bad last week as it is making a lifter squeal noise that I confirmed through YouTube videos that basically are telling me the roller is putting and is going to eat the cam along with it. I tried to explain that to my wife and she didn’t buy it and thinks it’s because the oil needed to be changed since it was at the 5k mile mark on the oci. I am thinking it might be a combination of both of those. It runs fine and that lifter noise is intermittent. Some days it’s there and some days it isn’t. Today it was noisy, yesterday it wasn’t. Plus it’s been really cold in Nevada and I think the cold weather is making those worn plugs and wires act out more. I do have valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets as well as a lifter valley gasket since I have a knock sensor code I have put off for about 10 months now and haven’t gotten around to doing. I looked up the repair for the axle seal, it isn’t that bad of a job. I have my new impact gun that will make quick work of it. I can get a seal for $25 a GM one and 2 quarts of gear oil for $15 making it a cheap and easy fix.

Reaction score
All my belts, tensions, and idler pulleys are good because I replaced them all this year so I know it’s not those. I was kind of wondering it is motor or trans mounts as well since I am sure they are original and the truck has 252k on it. The trans mount looked fine to me when I inspected it a few days ago when I changed the oil. I was also thinking if it was the abs kicking on due to rust and crap in the hubs, but everyone mentions the problems occur when you are braking.
I would put money on motor mounts. I have 2 tables that had a bad jerk when going from a stop. Motor mounts solved it

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise and vibration during the last few feet of a stop is usually caused by the ABS sensors in the front wheel bearings getting confusing signals from the rust particles in the space between the bearings in the hub, dope out which wheel it is and replace the hub, if you feel financially flush, replace on both wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19