Valve tick or normal sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Hey All,

As part of my ongoing slow maintenace I finally had time today to change the belts and pullies (AC Delco kit from RA). It went very smooth and got the AC stretch belt on with the zip ties no problem. After I started it up it sounded a little different than normal but I have not run it with the hood open in a while so I wanted to post a video and see if this is normal sounding operation. It was not cold but not hot. Temp was on the colder side to in the middle as I had run it a bit earlier today and it sat for a couple hours. The ticking sounded did not sound like it was coming up but rather from the bottom. Let me know your thoughts if you don’t mind. This is more first ever truck and GM product so I don’t have a lot to compare it to. I took it for a ride after and it rode fine! Actually felt a little peppier. All I hear inside the cabin is the exhaust (stock) and airaid for the most part.

No check engine light, 45PSI oil pressure, good voltage, Range AFM device, no other known problems. 95k miles and I have already cleaned the throttle body, mass air flow sensor, new air filter and all other fluids except coolant & transmission (working on both of those).

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a video of it after i got back with a hot idle but the fans were on so its harder to hear.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A loose spark plug will cause a tick too. I have an old stethescope that I use for stuff like this, pin down the noise.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like more of a metallic noise, like a lifter. From above it sounds pretty normal, through the wheel well it's much more noticeable

I agree with prior mentioned options, but I'd like to add that running 1/2 quart of ATF in the oil for 200-500 miles before a change might help. If the lifter is sticky and varnished up from years of dirty oil, this can help clean it up and make it move freely again. It's a cheap test.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions! B-Train, that is what I thought as well! I heard the noise more while getting in the truck and noticed it was louder from the wheel well than it was up top. I thought up top it sounded relatively normal from my minimal experience. I will try and check the exhaust bolts carefully, so I do not break them! I guess just throw a socket on them and try to loosen gently and see what happens. The plugs and wires were replaced by a shop a few months prior to me buying the truck can try and again, gently pry the wires off and check for torque on those as well. I was debating about a lucas type fuel treatment but get nervous with what others have said about loosen up crud with the AFM.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jdwood1111 One thing I have noticed is that because the lifters are in the center of the motor you can hear them better from the wheel wells and might be mistaken for exhaust leak or vise versa.

2 Things you can do to help us help you is to rev the motor while the camera is in the wheel well and then put the vehicle in drive and hold the brake while you give it gas, when the engine is under-load a leaky exhaust manifold should get louder.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about the crud. ATF isn't super-duper aggressive and works wonders on varnish, etc. Make a note of oil color before hand and during to see if there is a change like its cleaning stuff. I'd recommend more of an extended trip vs a bunch of short trips for best results.

I've used it for noisy lifters, sticky fuel injectors, etc over the years and it has never disappointed.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
So i didn’t actually have much time to drive the truck or check it out but did take a video. However it was late and dark so I’ll get a better one in a couple days. However, I threw in a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in the gas tank and a half quart of ATF in the oil to give it a try. Could be I’m hoping for good results so it felt a little quieter and slightly higher oil pressure but who really knows. I did check the exhaust bolts and all seem tight and are present. I did not yet try pulling the wires off to check the torque on the plugs but that is next.

I’ll get a video per Dustin soon!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep