Valve spring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a broken exhaust valve spring that was causing my knocking. Valve doesn’t seem to be hurt. Can spin it and move it freely with the play I have. What do I need to do to change it. What’s a good valve spring to replace it?

Any help is appreciated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a broken exhaust valve spring that was causing my knocking. Valve doesn’t seem to be hurt. Can spin it and move it freely with the play I have. What do I need to do to change it. What’s a good valve spring to replace it?

Any help is appreciated.

I put a link in the other thread for the you will need from Summit Racing. I would use stock springs (12589774) or maybe the LS6 springs if you are going to replace them all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any help is appreciated.
You got lucky that there appears to be no damage. My vote goes for replacing all of the valve springs while you're in there. If one failed, it's only time before another one does and you might not be so lucky the second time. It's not a hard job, and only requires an inexpensive tool to compress the springs, remove the retainers, and install new springs.

I'm replacing the springs on mine as part of a cam swap right now, and had to go with stronger springs because of the lift on the new cam. I chose dual springs from Vinci Performance for the added redundancy of the second inner coil. If I were simply going to replace the stock spring on mine, I'd probably choose the PSI 1511. They're more expensive, but there's a lot of science behind the metallurgy on valve springs, and PSI does their homework. They make the springs for a lot of racing teams out there, too.

Dave

OP
OP
Idriveaho

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the broken spring with the stock replacement. I wanted to make sure it ran fine before just replacing all and still having issues. So got it running tonight and now I noticed a tick on the other side. Usually it quieted down after warm up but now I’m paranoid. I didn’t let it warm all the way up but I got a vid of it. I don’t think it’s a collapsed lifter. Thing doesn’t seem to miss. I’m going to take a peek under the cover tomorrow just to check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia