Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taconic State ‘PARKWAY’ its a 2 lane (hence pkway) from white plains-ish to albany-ish NY about 105 miles long...speed limit is mostly 50-55 state troopers in every u-turn... i drive it everyday for a good 30-35 mile section.. lotsa dips, turns, hills...if im not doing 75-85 people blow by me honk give me the finger.....even past troopers... Taconic Stae ‘Raceway’.... if you do 55 mph forget it.... you’re fighting.

chevy529

Reaction score
Taconic State ‘PARKWAY’ its a 2 lane (hence pkway) from white plains-ish to albany-ish NY about 105 miles long...speed limit is mostly 50-55 state troopers in every u-turn... i drive it everyday for a good 30-35 mile section.. lotsa dips, turns, hills...if im not doing 75-85 people blow by me honk give me the finger.....even past troopers... Taconic Stae ‘Raceway’.... if you do 55 mph forget it.... you’re fighting.

I've been casually following this thread and was puzzled why people drove fast but wanted good mileage.

Or rather expected it.

1600 r.p.m. has been the sweet spot and what you get is what you get ... for ME.

But I CAN drive 55mph without someone wanting to shoot me\rip my head off.

Just oilfield workers in jacked up chipped diesels passing at dangerous spots.

There isn't a 4 lane anywhere near me let alone a multi lane highway.

THAT makes a difference!

$6.31 gallon here but gallon is Imperial gallon so 17% bigger than USA gallon

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Very similar to the Garden State Parkway. I'm sure you're familiar with it @Galante.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
E85 performance update. 77% Alcohol content.

35 mph = 15 mpg
40 mph = 18 mpg
60 mph = 17.3 mpg
65 mph = 16.2 mpg
70 mph = 15.2 mpg
75 mph = 12.9 mpg

Cruise control on, no interruptions, some highway overpasses. Minimum 5 minutes at each speed resetting the AVG counter for each test.

I'm surprised to see 60 doing better than 65-70. What gears again? Have you ever done the same test with gas?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see 60 doing better than 65-70. What gears again? Have you ever done the same test with gas?

Not yet with gasoline. I just put her back on E85 to take advantage of the lower prices and cost per mile to drive. She has 3.42 gears.

When doing the test, it seemed that the mileage would have continued to increase had we traveled further and longer than 5-10 minutes at a time.

This particular tank is about done and is about 13.6 mpg. Driven through lots of rain which kills mileage and Friday was not only rain but awful traffic and morons on the road, the mileage plummeted. However, 13 is the combined average for running E85 for the 2010-2014 trucks with 4-speeds and the VVT 5.3s. Mine is the redhead, no VVT like the 2007-2008 trucks but have the 6-speed. The older ones combined average for E85 is 12 mpg.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of I-95 in Washington DC circa 1990. For as far as the eye could see, cars were bumper to bumper at 80 mph, like NASCAR. Slow down and you get run over! Same thing coming out of NYC and into Stamford, Connecticut with all that heavy construction back in 1990 as well. Each time through I literally thought it would be my last and resigned to accept my fate. The Lord was looking out for me though, still here! It too had dips and tight turns and no curbs, just miles and miles of barricades. Any of you guys remember that?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of I-95 in Washington DC circa 1990. For as far as the eye could see, cars were bumper to bumper at 80 mph, like NASCAR. Slow down and you get run over! Same thing coming out of NYC and into Stamford, Connecticut with all that heavy construction back in 1990 as well. Each time through I literally thought it would be my last and resigned to accept my fate. The Lord was looking out for me though, still here! It too had dips and tight turns and no curbs, just miles and miles of barricades. Any of you guys remember that?

That's pretty much I-10 completely across Louisiana! Two lanes, construction and wrecks everywhere...

chevy529

Reaction score
For as far as the eye could see, cars were bumper to bumper at 80 mph, like NASCAR. Slow down and you get run over!

Reminds me of the time I visited my cousin in San Bernadino,CA. I rented a K-car in 1990 to toodle around. The freeway into L.A. FREAKED me out!
JUST like that!
I wanted OFF in the worst way but couldn't see a way to do it ... for miles. And miles.

Much respect for all you peeps who have to do THAT on a daily basis!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Sunday my youngest ran the battery dead and had to get jumped. This somehow caused my engine hour meter to reset to zero! Didn't discover that that had happened until today while refueling. It'll be a pain to reprogram and cost $55 at Tis2Web to boot.

Last tank just finished up, 13.2 mpg on E85, $.17 cents a mile! Woohoo!

Changed the oil @ 5200 miles, the DIC said 33% oil life remaining.

Waiting for the ground to dry before attempting to fix that bolt, my buddy's barn has mud all around it now from these storms.

Alternator kept up a full charge the whole time I was in the truck tonight even though the Tech2 said it met the charging requirements of being only 75% charged. I'll have to keep an eye on it now. Have a long run coming up in a few days and will see if the battery gets back to normal or if its time to order another. It's still within the 30 month warranty though.

With gasoline going up it sure is nice to pay only $2.29 for E85!