Use Genuine AC Delco Parts They Say...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm told for the best match and longest life on replacement parts use AC Delco parts. They're what OEM is right?
Well I just recieved 3 parts I ordered and every one of them is made in a different country! What's going on, who's to say these manufacturers aren't making the very same product and selling it to say Dorman or someone else like that? Where's the quality assurance from AC Delco? How do I know these are genuine? I bought them from GMPartsOutlet. Their website boasts real AC Delco parts.

20210607_191353.jpg

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Direct outcome of economic globalization?? We want Delco parts at a price point and these companies trying to supply the demand at a profitable point. Diff cost of goods leading to things being put together, manufactured and assembled in different places of the world. I'd say use them if you bought from a reputable joint.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Paid more for these relays for my old truck to get Genuine AC Delco" parts.

AC delco relay china.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ivan is correct parts are sourced form all over the world and you might be surprised to know that some dorman parts are oem made or are made in the same factory, I have sold thousands of them and I was surprised when opening and inspecting some and come to find out it is a oem part, doesn't happen often but it does happen I guess it just depends on who made a deal that day for a run of something surpassed the oem quantity or they didn't re-tool, who knows.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of US companies use Mexico and China. But Slovania?​
Actually all over the world like Wes said. I think I remember GM sources parts manufacturing from over 30 countries. I read lately they produce VEHICLES in 30 countries under 10 brands so it doesn’t surprise me. They’re not just a US automaker anymore.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the manufacturer sources a supplier they give that supplier the OEM specs for the part, China (or whoever) then makes the OEM part but they also use those specs to make a competitive part to sell under a generic brand name; they charge the manufacturer a premium and sell the generic for a lower price.

All the hoopla about "genuine OEM parts" is exactly that, hype to get people to pay a premium in most cases.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the manufacturer sources a supplier they give that supplier the OEM specs for the part, China (or whoever) then makes the OEM part but they also use those specs to make a competitive part to sell under a generic brand name; they charge the manufacturer a premium and sell the generic for a lower price.

All the hoopla about "genuine OEM parts" is exactly that, hype to get people to pay a premium in most cases.
Manufacturing quality doesn’t necessarily relate to the country it’s made in but instead how much effort is maintained in quality control. And that costs more money, in material, labor and tooling costs. Replacing molds instead of continuing to run parts, sampling parts from the line and inspecting them regularly etc add to the cost. You get what you pay for, for the most part. If you think cheap aftermarket parts are as good a quality or will last as long as OEM parts you’re mistaken. I have been working on my own vehicles for almost 50 years and I have learned this, sometimes the hard way.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it sounds like a crap shoot as to whether or not you're actually getting the real deal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it sounds like a crap shoot as to whether or not you're actually getting the real deal.
there are tons of counterfeit parts out there, on the same token there are company's like "herko" that will take a oem part and scrape the logo or part number off of it and resell it as there own brand. you just have to sort out the reputable dealers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne