URGENT: New 2022 Yukon XL Denali Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for myself and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my witts end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

Local dealer will only cover $40/day for rental. I bought this truck from a dealer that is about 1.5 hour drive from me. They have been helpfull giving me a Denali for the tranny issue but not sure what to do now. I love the truck but not after going through all of this. i feel this truck is tainted and I want another one. That is going to be my next email to the dealer I bought it from. Even if they repair the lifter, WOULD YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK IS RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THIS?

If I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 12/26/21 HOW DO I KNOW THE BUILD DATE. THEY REFER TO IT AS A 2022 BUT NOW I AM WIERY ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT THE LIFTER ISSUES WERE IN THE 2021 MODELS. VERY FRUSTRATED!

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear! I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for myself and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my witts end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

Local dealer will only cover $40/day for rental. I bought this truck from a dealer that is about 1.5 hour drive from me. They have been helpfull giving me a Denali for the tranny issue but not sure what to do now. I love the truck but not after going through all of this. i feel this truck is tainted and I want another one. That is going to be my next email to the dealer I bought it from. Even if they repair the lifter, WOULD YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK IS RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THIS?

If I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 12/26/21 HOW DO I KNOW THE BUILD DATE. THEY REFER TO IT AS A 2022 BUT NOW I AM WIERY ABOUT THAT. I THOUGHT THE LIFTER ISSUES WERE IN THE 2021 MODELS. VERY FRUSTRATED!
On drivers door label there will be build date and location. Being purchased 12/26/21 it is probably involved in lifter issues. Be nice if you could get to purchase dealer because they give you something to drive.They probably have your truck tore apart to having given you problem with truck

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes to all you guys with new rides! What a crock of poop. To the OP, I would demand some sort of compensation being that the NEW vehicle you bought won't be new anymore after everything is torn apart and reassembled.

You get more bees with honey, so I'd try that first. Also, depending on what kind of business you do with the original dealership (ie: multiple vehicle purchases,service, etc) you may want to discuss options with them. If you get the runaround, then phone up your GMC customer service and get a claim going.

Personally, I'd probably demand a refund and tell them to keep it. Find a good used vehicle and wait for the economy to crash. Then buy something for less and hope all the bugs are worked out.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did not buy the vehicle from this particular dealership, would you feel that we should have the same right in demanding things? I'm in the same situation where my brand-new Yukon with less than 8K miles on it has and is the shop for the 6th time. The dealership I bought it from is 100 miles away from me and I feel weird complaining a lot to my local dealership
The dealer should have some form of Courtesy Transportation. GM usually reimburses for this, and in your case, seems completely reasonable. I don't think it is unreasonable for you to ask and maybe even respectfully stand your ground hard, for this servicing dealer to step up to this courtesy transportation policy. They are a representative for GM, are completing the repairs on behalf of GM, and are getting paid by GM for doing so.

From your warranty booklet:

1665682116870.png

And from the 2022 Owners Manual:
1665682279755.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something I had not thought about till now. Are ALL these problems that the members are having and the general public are having, going to come up on a Car Fax? I can imagine that the vehicle value will plummet in a new buyers eyes when see the list of problems lots of these rigs are having.

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a lot of Carfax's and it may only state transmission service or engine service, I have not seen one that states tranny or engine rebuilt. Not good for the consumer. Asking the servicing Dealer for service records may be your only hope.

GoBlue1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2022 SLT with about 7500 miles just got towed today. Alarms saying "SERVICE ESC", "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL" AND "FORWARD COLLISION SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE". Truck idling rough and hear a clicking on bottom sounds like a gear engaging or something. 4th time is the shop! First few was for overheating transmission due to a twisted line. VERY FRSRTRATED! DON'T KNOW WHO TO COMPLAIN TO.

ended up bad lifter on cylinder #8
11/28/22
I have a 2022 Denali (Short) and I'm at the dealership now with the exact same issues. The dashboard lights would not even come on this morning either. I bought the truck in September and I only have 5500 miles on it. The dealership had about 5 codes when they hooked everything up this morning. I'll keep updating as things progress.

Update 12/2/22
I left the truck at the dealership Monday and they gave me a courtesy vehicle to drive. Service person said he has no idea when my truck can be repaired because there are no parts at this time.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I had not thought about till now. Are ALL these problems that the members are having and the general public are having, going to come up on a Car Fax? I can imagine that the vehicle value will plummet in a new buyers eyes when see the ;ist of problems lots of these rigs are having.
All cars have problems. Some more then others. That's why you have warranty. Hopefully you enjoy the car enough to overlook the issues.

YukonSam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have a 2022 Yukon Denali.
Was going down FL turnpike and I felt a jerk and a chirp sound, then truck shifted into neutral on its own. RPMs 0.
I coasted off onto the shoulder. Would not start.

GMC flat bedded into the nearby dealership, and I got a rental car (i'm paying 30/day extra to get a suburban).
This happened last week.

I called the dealership this week and they said the engine seized up and had to be replaced.
Engine is on backorder. Could be 3-6 mos.

It sounds like this truck is a lemon based on everyone's reports on here.
It's a shame as this is my 2nd Denali and I really like the truck.

I agree, don't want the truck back after this.

I also have reports of an old neighbor of mine in S. Fla that has the same truck/year and his motor locked up and the truck shifted into park.

Would like to hear if anyone is making progress with their dealer on getting this rectified in some manner.

Good luck to all of us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65