UPR Catch Can w/CSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with that air cleaner cover? Is that aftermarket? I like the see through.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Travis - Thanks for posting this thread. Can you confirm a few things for me?

1. Did you clean your valves before installing the catch can? I'm just shy of 21,000 miles and thinking about installing soon.
  2. Are you seeing any increased performance as the oil is being parsed out from the air?
  3. Any worries on dealer pushback/warranty issues down the road?
Thanks!

Brandon

Brandon,

1. I truly thought about having my valves cleaned prior to the install, even at such low miles. The dealer laughed at me when I asked them to perform their valve/intake manifold cleaning service. Told me I was requesting this way too early. Whatever, obviously the tech I spoke to was not purvey to the build up caused by DI engines. Anyways, answer is no, I did not and I kind of wished I had.

2. I can't really comment on performance at this time. I've only put around 1000 miles on it, and honestly its been a lot of very short trips to and from work in extremely cold weather. My wife has a 16 suburban without a separator/catch can installed. Plan to monitor both our trucks this spring and see if I can spot any differences. As of now, she is averaging around 14mpg in this cold weather and I am averaging around 15.5, however, this could be due to many things. (her suburban is a 16' with around 36K miles and mine is an 18' with around 15K miles.) I plan to compare her valves/intake manifold to mine a few years from now which should be pretty telling. While I can't physically determine any performance differences, I have piece of mind knowing the crap that the can is collecting is not blowing through my manifold and getting baked on to the back of my valves.

3. I have absolutely zero worries about warranty. My truck is tuned, so if something catastrophic happens, I'm going to have to "eat it" most likely. My wife's 16 suburban has run flawlessly since we bought it. My Tahoe has too, but I am willing to accept the potential risks associated with "modifying" my truck if something fails. I have a mild 93 octane tune from Black bear performance, GM accessories CAI, and the GM/Borla exhaust.

The benefits of the catch can far outweigh the risk of the engine failing within the warranty period in my opinion. From what I have read, it really comes down to the relationship you have with your dealer as well. Some dealers may be more lenient than others. But, if you are at all worried about warranty issues with the catch can, you can easily remove it and put it back to stock within a few minutes. That is what is really nice about the UPR system: all the hoses are factory connections which allow you to easily pop them off without tools/hassle.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7500 mile update: ladies and gentlemen, truck just rolled 20k miles and this is the CUMULATIVE amount of crap that the system has prevented from sending back through the intake system/coat the back of the valves.

0915191344a.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and went for an expensive setup. I went with Elite Engineering’s E2-X with CSS. UPR didn’t have anything for my supercharged 02, just their basic setup. The E2-X has dual outlets so it still works under boost as well as check valves inline on them. I just installed it yesterday. 99D6837A-68B5-4101-B140-9196522B02DE.jpeg

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and went for an expensive setup. I went with Elite Engineering’s E2-X with CSS. UPR didn’t have anything for my supercharged 02, just their basic setup. The E2-X has dual outlets so it still works under boost as well as check valves inline on them. I just installed it yesterday. View attachment 230709

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent investment, especially considering it is boosted. Looks awesome too!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent investment, especially considering it is boosted. Looks awesome too!
Thanks. I actually asked them if they could pc it red and they said yeah for a bit extra so then I asked since it still needed to be engraved with their logo could they add my trucks name. They did that for free, so it’s a one-off in red with The Beast engraved although I would have liked bigger letters. But what the hell. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues