Upper Bal Joint Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geeze, I remember my '57 Chevy seemed to have a million miles and were ok but I guess it weighed a lot less.
I don’t know. Somethings fishy or the stock ones are crap. I’ve only ever done ball joints on cars that have over 100k miles.. apparently one of my uppers have already been changed from the factory aluminum control arm to steel… I’ve only had the truck for a little over a year and like 8k miles. So I don’t know much about it’s history. I’m probably gonna do all 4 soon anyway just to get it out of the way

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your mounting bolts are frozen these will be your best friend, trust me:

Frozen? The rust had claimed all the threads. Our state saves us money on not paying plow workers in exchange for all our rusted out vehicles. You'd think it was the 60s and 70s all over.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know. Somethings fishy or the stock ones are crap. I’ve only ever done ball joints on cars that have over 100k miles.. apparently one of my uppers have already been changed from the factory aluminum control arm to steel… I’ve only had the truck for a little over a year and like 8k miles. So I don’t know much about it’s history. I’m probably gonna do all 4 soon anyway just to get it out of the way

That's interesting. Only my lower control arms are alloy.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frozen? The rust had claimed all the threads. Our state saves us money on not paying plow workers in exchange for all our rusted out vehicles. You'd think it was the 60s and 70s all over.
I had no visible rust whatsoever and the bolts shanks were frozen in the bushings. Nuts came off fine. I had to cut the bolt heads off. Then use a pry bar to get enough of a gap to get that blade between the frame mounts and the bushings to cut it loose.

GO0BER

Reaction score
I put up a post about this very question some years ago and the general consensus is that they are worn out by about 150K miles. My right upper started going bad at around 122K, or rather, that's when I noticed it going bad!

Yes, you could do just what needs doing and not replace everything at once, did my hubs that way, about 20K miles apart. With a dial indicator you can test all four with a jack stand and floor jack, movement should be no more than 1 millimeter.

If this truck is a long time keeper, use GM OE parts. ACDelco Professional or Moog CK series are good for at least 50K miles and likely double that. If you're going to sell it tomorrow, Moog's RK series will save you quite a bit of money. Of course, if you're going to be running baja races with Ford Raptors, I doubt even the best will last that long!
oof.. reviving an old thread here in hopes I can get some extra info :)

I have an 08 Yukon XL 2500 with 4x4. I went to have an alignment done and was told my passenger side upper ball joint and tie rod are bad enough they couldn't/wouldn't do the alignment but they weren't "unsafe" yet.

After reading this I started looking for ACDelco parts on amazon that are of the 'professional' tagging..

Passenger side
Driver side
Inner TR
Outer TR

These are parts that should in theory be factory or very close to?

I did wheel hubs last year (~8k miles), should I worry about doing anything else while in there now (I will be doing both sides so that I have equal wear side to side)?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Yukon XL 2500 with 4x4. I went to have an alignment done and was told my passenger side upper ball joint and tie rod are bad enough they couldn't/wouldn't do the alignment but they weren't "unsafe" yet.

After reading this I started looking for ACDelco parts on amazon that are of the 'professional' tagging..

Passenger side
Driver side
Inner TR
Outer TR

Those Uppers in the links provided are for the 1500s. Yours would be 45D1083/19144068 for ACDelco Gold/Professional. GM OE would be 25905442.

Your tie rods are correct for ACDelco Gold/Professional. Don't forget the boots.

When it comes to the bellows boots, folks think a tie strap is good enough to secure the boot. It's not, it allows water to get in there and shortens the life of the tie rod.

I suggest also replacing the lower control arms.

If memory serves, Chris and Ken have experience with ACDelco Professional control arms and am sure would be willing to share their experiences with them:

@iamdub @kbuskill

Use GMPartsGiant and https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/acesCat.php for assistance in looking up the correct parts for your truck.

How are your springs and shocks and jounce bumpers?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Those Uppers in the links provided are for the 1500s. Yours would be 45D1083/19144068 for ACDelco Gold/Professional. GM OE would be 25905442.

Your tie rods are correct for ACDelco Gold/Professional. Don't forget the boots.

When it comes to the bellows boots, folks think a tie strap is good enough to secure the boot. It's not, it allows water to get in there and shortens the life of the tie rod.

I suggest also replacing the lower control arms.

If memory serves, Chris and Ken have experience with ACDelco Professional control arms and am sure would be willing to share their experiences with them:

@iamdub @kbuskill

Use GMPartsGiant and https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/acesCat.php for assistance in looking up the correct parts for your truck.

How are your springs and shocks and jounce bumpers?

I went with Moog CK "problem solvers" upper and lower and SKF X-Tracker Hybrid hubs. Zero issues. The X-Trackers are well recommended in the road course racing community for Corvettes and the like.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oof.. reviving an old thread here in hopes I can get some extra info :)

Passenger side
Driver side
Inner TR
Outer TR

I did wheel hubs last year (~8k miles), should I worry about doing anything else while in there now (I will be doing both sides so that I have equal wear side to side)?

The "Professional" series is most likely reboxed Moog. I can't say if they'll be the CK or RK series. You do NOT want the RK series. Also, the Professional and/or Moog CK series has a lower quality boot than the original part. Myself and another member both had boots split very soon after installation. I don't drive that much, so it failed with little mileage. The rubber (or silicone or whatever it is) is firmer and more brittle. The arm seems to be fine otherwise. Still, for the hassle, I'd aim for GM Genuine/AC Delco OE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts