Upgrading the steering wheel. Adapatability question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Is it possible to put a later model steering wheel on an older car?

Mine is 1996 LT. I've redone the inside except for the wheel. It's pretty crusty and doesn't really look at home anymore.

Pretty costly to recover. Looks cheaper to replace in most cases.

I really like the Grant Revolution style. (link below)

http://www.carid.com/2011-chevy-tah...r-bag-replacement-steering-wheel-4236681.html

So would this work? As in will it bolt on to an older Tahoe? I realize the buttons on the wheel will obviously not be hooked up but it would be nice to retain the function of the airbag. Would there been any issues with self terminating blinkers not function etc etc.....

OP
OP
2DR4EVR

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Ha.....thanks Sunlit. I may just go ahead and order it. It's half the cost of a recover so if doesn't work out I can send it back.

I read a review on that wheel from a guy who put one on an 89 Camero so I think the chances are good.

Ill report back when I get a chance to order and install it.

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That website says the wheel isnt available. Where are you buying it from

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
You could probably do one that had a single stage airbag. That would be up until to 2002 models. 2003 later became dual stage air bags. However, after 03, there are some 2500 and 3500's that have the new style airbag but it is still single stage. Some of the expres Vans are the same way.

You can tell on the back of the airbag if it has one vs. two connectors. Two being the 2 stage airbag.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
It should work. A while back timmy had a wheel that said it would work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse