Upgrading ignition coils worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
It's time to do plugs and wires and I'm also considering upgrading to a set of MSD Blaster ignition coils. They aren't cheap though ($381 for the set)! Any thoughts on this? Are stock coils good enough, will I notice a performance improvement, mileage, etc? Thanks!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, our factory COP setup is pretty darned good. The return on investment would be terrible. Maybe if you were making 500+ HP on boost you might see some gain, but at this point it would not make any sort of noticeable gain.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the stock coils are actually very good. I think they produce approximately 40,000 give or take. I bought the MSD coils thinking the same thing but didn't really notice a difference. Maybe a little smoother idle but no notice in horsepower. The idle improvement could have been from the new plugs and wires I installed at the same time. Save your money and keep the stock coils. One other thing, anybody want to buy a set of new/slightly used MSD coils?

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I agree, the stock coils are actually very good. I think they produce approximately 40,000 give or take. I bought the MSD coils thinking the same thing but didn't really notice a difference. Maybe a little smoother idle but no notice in horsepower. The idle improvement could have been from the new plugs and wires I installed at the same time. Save your money and keep the stock coils. One other thing, anybody want to buy a set of new/slightly used MSD coils?

Thanks for the input! So you ended up going back to stock coils? How much for the MSD set? You can send me a PM if you like.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fbody (camaro/firebird) guys upgrade to truck coils all the time btw. Supposedly the factory coils with heatsinks are the better ones, but honestly you wont notice a difference between the two on a stock setup at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia