Update to adding trans temp gauge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks Doug! I've been lurking since finding your posts, and learning alot! Keep up the good work!

Leon200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to fit with my research. The first two lines appear to me to be all odometer. Maybe you're formatting is such that the first two lines are longer and include data from past the odometer.

yes, you are correct. I was mistaken. The code is likely not in the top two lines of code. The service brake booster nag came back after a few days. I wish it would go away again!

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, you are correct. I was mistaken. The code is likely not in the top two lines of code. The service brake booster nag came back after a few days. I wish it would go away again!
I don't know where the brake booster config is stored, but it doesn't seem to me that they would put it in the cluster. To me it would make more sense for that to be stored in the either the ABS, BCM or PCM module. I would guess that it will require reprogramming one of those.

hatzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought so too, but changed mine from 265/70/16 ( stock ) to 285/75/16 and it didn't do squat. Since I had to press on the brake pedal to complete the change, I think this only affects the ABS.

Your tire size & axle ratio make a final drive ratio for two computers in your truck. ABS and PCM.
The ABS cal is important but not the only piece of the puzzle. A Tech2 can change the ABS tire size calibration but not the final drive ratio in the PCM. I'm not sure you can use the Tech 2 to re-calibrate the ABS controller for a different axle ratio. Likely you can do at least the ABS tire size calibration with some of the high end Autel and SnapOn diag tools but do your own research.
The PCM handles calibration of vehicle speed data to the instrument panel over the GM Class II Serial databuss. You'll need to use a tuner package to directly program the PCM or a modified Cal file from GM to program the PCM over AC Delco TIS web. Good luck getting a modified Cal file from GM even if you're a dealership. I used HP Tuners to change from 245/75R16 to 265/70R17 tires on my 2005 K2500HD. Supposedly some of the handheld tuners can modify this PCM parameter.

Last edited:

hatzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the brake booster config is stored, but it doesn't seem to me that they would put it in the cluster. To me it would make more sense for that to be stored in the either the ABS, BCM or PCM module. I would guess that it will require reprogramming one of those.
You can remove the brake booster message by shorting the two outer pins on the connector. I did this on my suburban.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hp tuners will allow you to fix the axle ratio and brake booster message. If I had my suburban still I would of been able to tell you what two wires to tie together to get rid of that message. It's looking for a normally closed circuit.

Logan5

Reaction score
Want to say thanks to OP for great info and report successfully adding Trans Temp gauge to my 05 Tahoe.

Only difference was the trans temp hex was '03' and needed to be changed to '42' which I found in some YT vids.

I ended up using:
and

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to say thanks to OP for great info and report successfully adding Trans Temp gauge to my 05 Tahoe.

Only difference was the trans temp hex was '03' and needed to be changed to '42' which I found in some YT vids.

I ended up using:
and
Did you use the provided software?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal