Update to adding trans temp gauge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBadSubaru

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, I don't have the steering wheel controls :-( It's got the Bose sound system but that's about the only "fancy" option... Looked at pick n pull today for a steering wheel with buttons but no luck :-(

Leon200

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for sharing your work DougAMiller. Nice stuff. About a year ago I used your thread to help me recode and install a used Cluster out of a 04 Tahoe into a 04 Yukon Denali.

I had the same brake booster service problem when I changed out the clusters. My Denali has a hydraboost brake system and the donor Tahoe was vacuum.

To make a long story short, I felt that the first two lines of the code were corrupted from my original Denali Cluster read so I wrote the top two lines of code in from the tahoe. This gave me the booster nag.

I took things apart again today and wrote the original top two Denali lines back into the code and refalshed the Atmel 25020 chip. Now the Booster nag is gone and all is working like it should. This is what leads me to believe that the booster code must be in the top two lines somewhere.

I will try and upload them so someone can look at them.

Attachments

• 04 Denali dash files.zip
    1 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for sharing your work DougAMiller. Nice stuff. About a year ago I used your thread to help me recode and install a used Cluster out of a 04 Tahoe into a 04 Yukon Denali.

I had the same brake booster service problem when I changed out the clusters. My Denali has a hydraboost brake system and the donor Tahoe was vacuum.

To make a long story short, I felt that the first two lines of the code were corrupted from my original Denali Cluster read so I wrote the top two lines of code in from the tahoe. This gave me the booster nag.

I took things apart again today and wrote the original top two Denali lines back into the code and refalshed the Atmel 25020 chip. Now the Booster nag is gone and all is working like it should. This is what leads me to believe that the booster code must be in the top two lines somewhere.

I will try and upload them so someone can look at them.
That doesn't seem to fit with my research. The first two lines appear to me to be all odometer. Maybe you're formatting is such that the first two lines are longer and include data from past the odometer.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller

Have you made anymore progress on deciphering these BIN files ?
What are your thoughts on the axle ratio being somewhere in there ?

I have 2 clusters with the trans. temp gauge that have inaccurate speedometers. 1 is approx. 10% fast and the other is slow. This is leading me to believe that the axle ratios from the vehicles that these came from are different than what is in my Yukon. I am waiting on an eeprom reader from Amazon and have HxD and Notepad++ to work with, but this will all be a relatively new venture for me, so any pointers will be appreciated.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@DougAMiller

Have you made anymore progress on deciphering these BIN files ?
What are your thoughts on the axle ratio being somewhere in there ?

I have 2 clusters with the trans. temp gauge that have inaccurate speedometers. 1 is approx. 10% fast and the other is slow. This is leading me to believe that the axle ratios from the vehicles that these came from are different than what is in my Yukon. I am waiting on an eeprom reader from Amazon and have HxD and Notepad++ to work with, but this will all be a relatively new venture for me, so any pointers will be appreciated.
I haven't. I've gotten side-tracked with other things and haven't gotten any further.

As for the axle ratios, they certainly could be stored in there, but I have never run across anyone saying that the cluster had to be calibrated to their axle. The places that do programming only ask for mileage and hours, I've never seen anyone indicate that they need the axle ratio, so I'm skeptical that it is stored there. It seems more likely that it's in the PCM. That said, I can't explain your experience.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I haven't. I've gotten side-tracked with other things and haven't gotten any further.

As for the axle ratios, they certainly could be stored in there, but I have never run across anyone saying that the cluster had to be calibrated to their axle. The places that do programming only ask for mileage and hours, I've never seen anyone indicate that they need the axle ratio, so I'm skeptical that it is stored there. It seems more likely that it's in the PCM. That said, I can't explain your experience.
Messing with my tech 2 there was an option to change tire size--so different, but similar. Tire size will def affect your speedo.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Messing with my tech 2 there was an option to change tire size--so different, but similar. Tire size will def affect your speedo.
I thought so too, but changed mine from 265/70/16 ( stock ) to 285/75/16 and it didn't do squat. Since I had to press on the brake pedal to complete the change, I think this only affects the ABS.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so too, but changed mine from 265/70/16 ( stock ) to 285/75/16 and it didn't do squat. Since I had to press on the brake pedal to complete the change, I think this only affects the ABS.
I've seen that in my Tech2 as well, but I've never played with it. I have always assumed that it was to calibrate the speedometer to the tire size. I'm not sure what other reason there would be for it.

As to reprogramming the cluster, your sig shows an '01 Yukon. Those have an older cluster design than the 2003-2006. I'm not sure what will be different in the earlier ones, since I have never played with one. I do know that the stepper motors and displays are different, so information stored in any EEPROMs on those clusters may be significantly different.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that in my Tech2 as well, but I've never played with it. I have always assumed that it was to calibrate the speedometer to the tire size. I'm not sure what other reason there would be for it.

As to reprogramming the cluster, your sig shows an '01 Yukon. Those have an older cluster design than the 2003-2006. I'm not sure what will be different in the earlier ones, since I have never played with one. I do know that the stepper motors and displays are different, so information stored in any EEPROMs on those clusters may be significantly different.
Question for you, Doug.

Should a sweep test cause the needle to go all the way to 120, or should it stop half-way? I asked this on another thread
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...t-inaccurate-speedometer.124695/#post-1539227
but received no answer.

Thanks.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member