Update to adding trans temp gauge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the same ScanGauge II in my 04 Tahoe, that I had bought for a Ford diesel I had. After programming in the code for the trans temp on my Tahoe, I do use it when I remember to plug it in and bring it on my trip. I never mounted it permanently though. Good idea mounting it there.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kid has the Yukon at college (Mizzou) right now. Will be back this weekend and I'll get a pic

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
Oh crap. Might just be better to NOT take any pics after. You know, what happens at Mizzou stays at Mizzou lol.

Reaction score
I have used the same ScanGauge II in my 04 Tahoe, that I had bought for a Ford diesel I had. After programming in the code for the trans temp on my Tahoe, I do use it when I remember to plug it in and bring it on my trip. I never mounted it permanently though. Good idea mounting it there.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
It wasn't "permanent", I used a strip of velcro on the bottom of it to stick it to that ledge right above the tape deck. When the 12v outlet door is flipped down it fits perfect in the cutout.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Reaction score
Have a pic? Sounds interesting.
Got a pic of it today while I was changing the oil and doing a tire rotation.

The 4 gauges showing are Oil Life, Average MPG, Water Temp, and Trans Temp.

I can press the white button in each corner and scroll through different stuff to display. Volts, MPH, IAT, RPM, HP, TQ, MAP, TPS, Fuel Pressure, IGN Timing, etc2a1319213ea823b238cec746ed15fb34.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

jwth

Reaction score
Here is a bit of what I have figured out.

The odometer value is repeated three times for data integrity. First two bytes are the most significant and the least significant byte is roved over the next 10 bytes since this is written every 1/10 of a mile and the EEPROM is spec'ed for 1 million write cycles. This would stay within spec for 1 million miles.

Engine hours is stored once as four bytes, although I can't imagine needing the fourth byte, divide by 10 since it is recorded to 1/10 of an hour, and it is stored LSB→MSB.

TransTemp 0x000059 0 - Yes 1 - No

Vehicle Settings
0x00005A 0 - English 1 - French 2 - Spanish
0x00005B 0 - Imperial 1 - Metric

The VIN is stored as plain text, that is, the characters are encoded in ASCII and written as hex.
Last 4 characters from label bar code stored as plain text, serial number maybe?
GM 8 digit Part Number for cluster is stored in hex format MSB→LSB
Cluster model ID is 4 large characters from the label. Also stored as ASCII plain text.
Trip meter value is in speedometer pulses, e.g. miles = value/4000, it is stored LSB→MSB. Took me a while to figure out how they were encoding this, but it means that your trip meter is accurate to about 15 inches!. It's probably only updated in volatile memory and stored periodically or at shutdown, otherwise it would wear out the memory location pretty quickly.

Not stored in cluster:
Vehicle settings menu, except language (1) and units (2)
Timer
Fuel used

View attachment 218561

Gray blocks are the same in every memory dump I have looked at, and are mostly zero and probably unused. Still trying to figure out the gauge calibrations, which I think are stored somewhere in the white blocks.

Thanks for the post and info Doug
I just changed the bit in my 2005 yukon and added the trans temp motor, all worked as you indicated.
BTW there was no bulb at the trans temp location.
Great Info!

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Spent a lot of time trying to find this information before I finally figured it out for myself. Hopefully, having it posted here will make it easier for others that want to add the gauge.

Al90iroc6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, so I stumbled upon this thread as I am doin the gauge in my 07 classic silverado and I pulled the bin file and 00x000059 is already 00 on mine yet trans temp is inop....am I maybe looking at the wrong slot?

toddis32

Reaction score
59 should be at 00 always on all 03-06 models and also. You can have the entire service done for 95.00 including the parts. GM Gauge Repair in Wisconsin.

mo2058130

Reaction score
Thanks for the post and info Doug
I just changed the bit in my 2005 yukon and added the trans temp motor, all worked as you indicated.
BTW there was no bulb at the trans temp location.
Great Info!

Hey there, where did you get your parts? I have an 05 XL.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts