Update to adding trans temp gauge...

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by DougAMiller, Mar 12, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    I have not heard the light bulb thing. Interesting. I've just read that the 04 MY vehicles some work and some don't.

I wondered about the eeprom, too. But for $15, I think I'll just do it. I have yet to check with a couple techie friends who may already have one.

2. mattt

mattt Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Are you saying you located the eprom programmer for $15? The OP linked to one that is $60 if I remember correctly.

3. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    His second link in that post.

mattt likes this.
  4. DougAMiller

DougAMiller Full Access Member

Name:
    Doug
    Never heard anything about trans temp backlights being there when the gauge wasn't. Might be true, just never heard of it.

As for your question about turning on the feature. I'm still working on figuring out the rest of the contents of the eeprom, so no guarantee that there aren't some subtleties that I don't yet understand. But, at least in the two clusters that I have programmed, it is pretty simple.

In general I am happy to help others out, and don't mind doing it. I am a little concerned about being held responsible if something were to go wrong.

mattt likes this.
  5. Atrus

Atrus TYF Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    @DougAMiller - awesome information! Thank you for sharing it!

So, if I am reading this correctly....I SHOULD (I know nothing is guaranteed) be able to add a stepper motor and HD/Denali gauge overlay (and potentially an illumination light) to my 2003 Yukon and the trans temp should work? No programming should be required?

And, if programming is required, I unsolder that chip, use one of the readers you listed, change the bit from that one string from "1" to "0"?

That'd be great news for me - I'd like to get one in our '04 Suburban as well, but the '03 Yukon is the priority as I plan on setting it up as a tow rig for our travel trailer, and light snowplow duty. Trans temp would be very helpful to know in those scenarios. I've already rebuilt the cluster once, but one of the replacement motors is wonky so I need to crack it open again anyway.

HiHoeSilver likes this.
  6. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    You are correct. Your 03, according to most, will just work by adding the stepper, face, and needle. Your 04 MIGHT work that way, too. If not, @DougAMiller's eeprom programming will do the trick, it seems.

7. Atrus

Atrus TYF Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for an HD or Denali cluster next time I am at the pick 'n pull!

8. DougAMiller

DougAMiller Full Access Member

Name:
    Doug
    That's right. Although the chip can be reprogrammed on the board. You don't have to unsolder it, although you can do it that way too. You just need a SOIC8 test clip that connects to all of the pins so that you can connect wires to them. Like this one

[​IMG]

9. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy Full Access Member

Name:
    Tom
    I added a trans temp gauge about 10 years ago to my 2001

well, it's actually a ScanGaugeII that's mounted above the 3 12v outlets and plugged into the OBD port. I have it configured to show 4 gauges:
    -Oil Life
    -Trans temp
    -Coolant temp
    -Average MPG

Tonyrodz likes this.
  10. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Resident resident

Name:
    Tony
    Have a pic? Sounds interesting.