Update to adding trans temp gauge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info in this thread. There is some disparity in what model year cluster can just add the stepper motor. The reason I say this is my 2004 Tahoe has a build date of 06/03 which made me think mine would be just a stepper motor add-on. With 03 being an easy add, I made the leap of faith that an 06/03 build date would have it be able to display trans temp.

However, I have read somewhere that the tell tale sign of whether your cluster will work right out of the gate with the addition of a stepper motor is that the cluster will have the light bulb for trans temp gauge pre-installed on the board above where the trans temp gauge is. My board does not have the light installed there. I have the overlay and needle but never bothered installing them because it probably wouldn't work.

Anyone else heard that one about the light being in place on the board is the sign of whether it is ready to display trans temp?

Would the OP be interested in turning on the function for other's clusters? I don't know that I want to bother with the eprom reader if it will only be used one time? What other use could it be put to? Thanks in advance.

I have not heard the light bulb thing. Interesting. I've just read that the 04 MY vehicles some work and some don't.

I wondered about the eeprom, too. But for $15, I think I'll just do it. I have yet to check with a couple techie friends who may already have one.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you located the eprom programmer for $15? The OP linked to one that is $60 if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard anything about trans temp backlights being there when the gauge wasn't. Might be true, just never heard of it.

As for your question about turning on the feature. I'm still working on figuring out the rest of the contents of the eeprom, so no guarantee that there aren't some subtleties that I don't yet understand. But, at least in the two clusters that I have programmed, it is pretty simple.

In general I am happy to help others out, and don't mind doing it. I am a little concerned about being held responsible if something were to go wrong.

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@DougAMiller - awesome information! Thank you for sharing it!

So, if I am reading this correctly....I SHOULD (I know nothing is guaranteed) be able to add a stepper motor and HD/Denali gauge overlay (and potentially an illumination light) to my 2003 Yukon and the trans temp should work? No programming should be required?

And, if programming is required, I unsolder that chip, use one of the readers you listed, change the bit from that one string from "1" to "0"?

That'd be great news for me - I'd like to get one in our '04 Suburban as well, but the '03 Yukon is the priority as I plan on setting it up as a tow rig for our travel trailer, and light snowplow duty. Trans temp would be very helpful to know in those scenarios. I've already rebuilt the cluster once, but one of the replacement motors is wonky so I need to crack it open again anyway.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

So, if I am reading this correctly....I SHOULD (I know nothing is guaranteed) be able to add a stepper motor and HD/Denali gauge overlay (and potentially an illumination light) to my 2003 Yukon and the trans temp should work? No programming should be required?

And, if programming is required, I unsolder that chip, use one of the readers you listed, change the bit from that one string from "1" to "0"?

That'd be great news for me - I'd like to get one in our '04 Suburban as well, but the '03 Yukon is the priority as I plan on setting it up as a tow rig for our travel trailer, and light snowplow duty. Trans temp would be very helpful to know in those scenarios. I've already rebuilt the cluster once, but one of the replacement motors is wonky so I need to crack it open again anyway.

You are correct. Your 03, according to most, will just work by adding the stepper, face, and needle. Your 04 MIGHT work that way, too. If not, @DougAMiller's eeprom programming will do the trick, it seems.

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for an HD or Denali cluster next time I am at the pick 'n pull!

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's right. Although the chip can be reprogrammed on the board. You don't have to unsolder it, although you can do it that way too. You just need a SOIC8 test clip that connects to all of the pins so that you can connect wires to them. Like this one

71pxMUwgtKL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Reaction score
I added a trans temp gauge about 10 years ago to my 2001

well, it's actually a ScanGaugeII that's mounted above the 3 12v outlets and plugged into the OBD port. I have it configured to show 4 gauges:
-Oil Life
-Trans temp
-Coolant temp
-Average MPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I added a trans temp gauge about 10 years ago to my 2001

well, it's actually a ScanGaugeII that's mounted above the 3 12v outlets and plugged into the OBD port. I have it configured to show 4 gauges:
-Oil Life
-Trans temp
-Coolant temp
-Average MPG
Have a pic? Sounds interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont