Uneven Tire Wear (Alignment Needed?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it’s just a matter of time.

Tires don’t last forever... they recommended an alignment which will make them last longer so I still don’t see the problem.

captain

Reaction score
Goto a tire shop, have them swap the tires so they wear opposite side. Problem solved until tires wear out. Once worn out, do new tires and alignment all at once.

GMTC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
13000 miles since rotating may be too long for your vehicle. Front tires will often show some light scallops from braking and cornering, and rotating takes the pressure off the low points while they are on the back, and reverses the effect that caused the scallops when they come back to the front on the opposite side.

Frostyp3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, but could not find anything via search. I have a 2018 Yukon Denali (22" OEM Bridgestone tires). I have 25K miles with tires rotated right around 12K miles. In inspecting my tires, I have noticed uneven wear on very outside tread of my front driver side tire. I took it to the dealership and they said they didn't see any issue that would cause this. Tech said this is "common" with the Bridgestones, but then suggested I pay for a 4 wheel alignment just as part of regularly schedule maintenance.

Seemed odd they didn't think anything was wrong and causing the uneven tire wear, but then suggested as a precautionary measure (due to miles NOT due to the tire wear) that I get an alignment. Happy to pay for the alignment if it's part of the problem or "good maintenance practice".

So two questions if this forum could help me out:

1. What could be causing this uneven tire wear?
2. Regardless of the tire wear cause, is there a need to have a 4 wheel alignment as part of a regular 25K mile maintenance program.

As always you guys are great and thanks in advanceView attachment 264306 View attachment 264307

I always get that, no matter what brand of tires, in my case, it’s because I don’t slow down to go around corners! I’m serious!

Tinlizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
X2 on the post above. You can easily get the kind of wear you're telling us about through hard cornering. If you hammer it on entrance and exit ramps, the driver side will exhibit more wear than the passenger.

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As always thanks for all the advice! There's a few items here. 1. I need to rotate my tires more often 2. An alignment can't hurt 3. Most surprising is my drive to work each day starts with one clover leaf highway entrance, but never an exit.

Either way, an alignment will at least help me narrow it down.

Thanks All!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure to request the alignment be adjusted to the center of the specs not just if it's green it's good.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly right. I find it interesting that there’s no guarantee that both rear wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Now that I think of it there’s been times when I see a truck driving down the road and I swear it seems like it’s driving crooked. Must be because the thrust line is way off.

Those trucks that are "crabbing" down the road may have been heavily damaged before and the frame could be tweaked. I've seen it with cars, too.

Saw this the other night and it reminded me of this thread:

IMG_E4218.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts