Ugly time with ABS Automated Bleed procedure via Tech 2 on my 2013 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

This past weekend, I submerged myself in the brake system of my 2013 Escalade ESV. She stopped just fine, but I wanted to clean and inspect the brakes. As well, bleed the ABS now that I had a Tech 2.

Before any of this, I wanted to deal with the bleeder screw issues in the rear calipers. I had found the passenger's side rear caliper bleed screw was very difficult to turn when I initially flushed the brakes last month. Now, I replaced all four bleeder screws. I was able to remove the passenger's side rear with a 1/4" drive ratchet and 6-point 10mm socket. It took a little pressure, but the bleeder screw came out. I installed ACDelco 88967108 bleeder screws in the rear calipers and ACDelco 25846360 bleeder screws in front calipers. I chased the threads in the calipers, flushed with brake cleaner, then let brake fluid flow to ensure the holes were clean. I made sure the little rubber sleeves and caps were installed back on all four bleeder screws.

2021-11-07 024.JPG
New ACDelco 88967108 rear bleeder screw at left, original bleeder screw at right.

2021-11-07 026.JPG
Original front bleeder screw at left, new ACDelco 25846360 bleeder screw at right.

As per the service manual, I pressure bled the brakes again before starting the Automated Bleed procedure. I got good clean fluid out of all four corners, then went to the Tech 2.

Background: I have never bled an ABS system on any vehicle. I had no idea what I was getting into. I did some google-fu, but didn't really find any procedural info.

Tech 2 Automated Bleed procedure instructed me to loosen the left front bleeder screw. No problem. Did so and connected the bleeder bottle. I hit CONTINUE, and it all went wrong...

I did not expect the ABS pump to be so loud. The Tech 2 had me continuously pumping the brake pedal for what seemed like an eternity. Once it was done, I was faced with carnage...
The bleeder bottle was full, the hose had blown off of it, and brake fluid had sprayed everywhere! More concerning, the master cylinder reservoir was d*mn near empty!!! I did not expect it to use such a large volume of brake fluid.

Looking at the procedure again, it does not instruct you to refill the master cylinder until AFTER the procedure is done. Meaning after all four corners have been done. Yeah. No. The master cylinder would have long been empty by that point.

I persevered, and did the other three corners as instructed by the Tech 2. THIS time, I put the bleeder hose through the box end of a combination wrench for weight, and then down into an oil drain pan. Once all was said and done, I had just enough DOT 4 brake fluid left to fill the master cylinder reservoir to just over halfway between the MIN and MAX markings. NOTE: I started with 3 quarts of DOT 4 on hand. Next time I do this, I will have over a gallon of DOT 4, and will keep my pressure bleeder connected to the master cylinder reservoir.

Out of paranoia, I gravity bled all four calipers again. I didn't get any air out, so that made me feel a little better.

Once the rest of the brake work was done, the test drive showed the brake pedal was not spongy. However, now I am concerned about the master cylinder. I tried not to stroke the brake pedal past the 'normal' travel so the seals would not be damaged. We shall see...

No photos of the fiasco. Its better that way.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

This past weekend, I submerged myself in the brake system of my 2013 Escalade ESV. She stopped just fine, but I wanted to clean and inspect the brakes. As well, bleed the ABS now that I had a Tech 2.

Before any of this, I wanted to deal with the bleeder screw issues in the rear calipers. I had found the passenger's side rear caliper bleed screw was very difficult to turn when I initially flushed the brakes last month. Now, I replaced all four bleeder screws. I was able to remove the passenger's side rear with a 1/4" drive ratchet and 6-point 10mm socket. It took a little pressure, but the bleeder screw came out. I installed ACDelco 88967108 bleeder screws in the rear calipers and ACDelco 25846360 bleeder screws in front calipers. I chased the threads in the calipers, flushed with brake cleaner, then let brake fluid flow to ensure the holes were clean. I made sure the little rubber sleeves and caps were installed back on all four bleeder screws.

View attachment 355009
New ACDelco 88967108 rear bleeder screw at left, original bleeder screw at right.

View attachment 355010
Original front bleeder screw at left, new ACDelco 25846360 bleeder screw at right.

As per the service manual, I pressure bled the brakes again before starting the Automated Bleed procedure. I got good clean fluid out of all four corners, then went to the Tech 2.

Background: I have never bled an ABS system on any vehicle. I had no idea what I was getting into. I did some google-fu, but didn't really find any procedural info.

Tech 2 Automated Bleed procedure instructed me to loosen the left front bleeder screw. No problem. Did so and connected the bleeder bottle. I hit CONTINUE, and it all went wrong...

I did not expect the ABS pump to be so loud. The Tech 2 had me continuously pumping the brake pedal for what seemed like an eternity. Once it was done, I was faced with carnage...
The bleeder bottle was full, the hose had blown off of it, and brake fluid had sprayed everywhere! More concerning, the master cylinder reservoir was d*mn near empty!!! I did not expect it to use such a large volume of brake fluid.

Looking at the procedure again, it does not instruct you to refill the master cylinder until AFTER the procedure is done. Meaning after all four corners have been done. Yeah. No. The master cylinder would have long been empty by that point.

I persevered, and did the other three corners as instructed by the Tech 2. Once all was said and done, I had just enough DOT 4 brake fluid left to fill the master cylinder reservoir to just over halfway between the MIN and MAX markings. NOTE: I started with 3 quarts of DOT 4 on hand. Next time I do this, I will have over a gallon of DOT 4, and will keep my pressure bleeder connected to the master cylinder reservoir.

Out of paranoia, I gravity bled all four calipers again. I didn't get any air out, so that made me feel a little better.

Once the rest of the brake work was done, the test drive showed the brake pedal was not spongy. However, now I am concerned about the master cylinder. I tried not to stroke the brake pedal past the 'normal' travel so the seals would not be damaged. We shall see...

No photos of the fiasco. Its better that way.
You should have read my build thread on this! LOL We went through 6 quarts of fluid. As an FYI, you can rebuild the rear calipers with the same parts used to rebuild the front even though GM does not show this.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have read my build thread on this! LOL We went through 6 quarts of fluid. As an FYI, you can rebuild the rear calipers with the same parts used to rebuild the front even though GM does not show this.
I will read your thread tonight at work!
Good to know on the caliper rebuild parts. As of the moment, none of mine leak, so I am leaving the calipers alone. I replaced pins, bushings, slider pads, etc...and added drag reduction clips. I will document all this in my thread in General Discussion.
I don't think it warrants a separate specific brake thread, as I am assuming that has been covered here many times.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine regarding the master cylinder. Going forward, unless you have a spongy pedal, just do a conventional bleed (the two people kind, or even better the pressure bottle kind) and call it good.
Thanks. That is my intent. If the master cylinder goes south, I will replace it.

I bought a Motive Power pressure bleeder years ago and have never looked back.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the elite club of shade tree mechanics who've done a job that a 40-year GM Tech wouldn't do, only to walk away with a bruised ego, a bag full of dirty rags and deep new knowledge as to why he wouldn't. Hats off to you for being vulnerable enough to share your story. This is a safe space :p

As I read it, it reminded me of a story I read once on an old usenet newsgroup I used to belong to called alt.drunken.bastards. For those of you younger than 50, usenet newsgroups were the predecessor to forums like this one. Anyway, I laughed so hard when I read this the first time, I saved it so I could laugh at it again whenever I needed a lift. I now share it with you:

Drunken Bastard Pluming, E.S.Intergalactic
"....it soon became apparent there was no other explanation, my sewer line
was not my friend any longer. In a rather futile, money-saving (money =
beer, beer = money) attempt to unclog the revolting mutineer, i went to my
local rental store (they love me there) and rented a high velocity
raptor-sewer-line-auger. yeah, they let me purchase it and even helped me
load it...bless jesus and pass the hand grenades......worked like a
charm....except it went the wrong way.....ate up my front toilet, put a
hole the size of a grapefruit in my front toilet and then proceeded, like a
demon in happy-hell, to clean the decks of my entire bathroom....it took
out my toothbrushes, underarm deoderant....i had fourty foot of power
auger writing something about the big-bang theory on the walls and counter
of my front bathroom while i was in the backyard shoving more of the thing
into my main-line trying to figure out what the fark was wrong with my
plumbing technique....thank gods, no one was using that toilet because we
are talking trip to the emergency room.....and probably a psychiatrist
visit just from the mental shock of the sudden surprise from it snaking up
through there like a scared weasel....it was spooky......drunken bastard
plumbing....then I taught myself how to install a new toilet....amazing
what a good-size hammer does to ceramics, and I still had to pay the auger
guy weekend rates for the veloci-auger.......but at least i have a place
to piss now.....and that is one thing every home should have, whether it
is just a cardboard box or not.having a pot to piss in is not a luxury,
it is a gods given right!"

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the elite club of shade tree mechanics who've done a job that a 40-year GM Tech wouldn't do, only to walk away with a bruised ego, a bag full of dirty rags and deep new knowledge as to why he wouldn't. Hats off to you for being vulnerable enough to share your story. This is a safe space :p

As I read it, it reminded me of a story I read once on an old usenet newsgroup I used to belong to called alt.drunken.bastards. For those of you younger than 50, usenet newsgroups were the predecessor to forums like this one. Anyway, I laughed so hard when I read this the first time, I saved it so I could laugh at it again whenever I needed a lift. I now share it with you:

of my front bathroom while i was in the backyard shoving more of the thing
into my main-line trying to figure out what the fark was wrong with my
plumbing technique....thank gods, no one was using that toilet because we
are talking trip to the emergency room.....and probably a psychiatrist
visit just from the mental shock of the sudden surprise from it snaking up
through there like a scared weasel....it was spooky......drunken bastard
plumbing....then I taught myself how to install a new toilet....amazing
what a good-size hammer does to ceramics, and I still had to pay the auger
guy weekend rates for the veloci-auger.......but at least i have a place
to piss now.....and that is one thing every home should have, whether it
is just a cardboard box or not.having a pot to piss in is not a luxury,
it is a gods given right!"
Thanks!
I have been an Industrial Maintenance Technician for 25 some odd years, and a gearhead for longer. I am very good at what I do.
However...I am human. And screw up. :p
I am not here to try to put on airs and be better than anybody. I am here to relay what I have done, swap lies with you guys, and try to be helpful. Which is my point: if someone reads my posts and learns from my mistakes, then that is a win!

And...for the record, loved the drunken plumbing story!

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
You will be fine regarding the master cylinder. Going forward, unless you have a spongy pedal, just do a conventional bleed (the two people kind, or even better the pressure bottle kind) and call it good.
My truck desperately needs a bleed and flush as the fluid is pretty dark. No braking issues at all,no spongy pedal. I bought the Motive power bleeder to do this job. Based on your comment, I shouldnt need to do the ABS bleed after the flush,correct? I do have a Tech 2 clone available if need be

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck desperately needs a bleed and flush as the fluid is pretty dark. No braking issues at all,no spongy pedal. I bought the Motive power bleeder to do this job. Based on your comment, I shouldnt need to do the ABS bleed after the flush,correct? I do have a Tech 2 clone available if need be
For the first flush, I would say no. Flush it until you have clean brake fluid at all four calipers. Drive it for awhile. Plan on another flush, then do the ABS bleed. You will need PLENTY of brake fluid. If your brake fluid is hateful dark, I would suggest at least 4, if not 6 quarts of your preferred brake fluid for the first flush. Then, for the ABS bleed, I would say 4 quarts. TIP: fill your Motive Power bleeder full of brake fluid and leave it connected and pressurized to the master cylinder when you do the ABS bleed. That is how I plan on doing it next time.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score