Tune voided my Yukon warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-boneT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I had a tune done by a local guy here in town. He's done over a hundred yukons, escalades, vetts, etc.

I have a '16 Denali XL and it had been doing great for the 2 weeks after the tune, then boom, get in the truck and start it up and it sounds brutal. Sputtered along for 10 seconds then froze up. The guy that tuned it came back out and tuned it back to stock as it sat dead in my garage. I had it hauled into the dealer and the #5 cylinder is totally locked up. Best bet is to swap out a new motor, $9k later. He said no worries because I still had a couple thousand left on my powertrain warranty.

Fast forward to the next morning, and I guess they forwarded the software to GM and it was flagged for having non-GM software edits made. Warranty void, I'm on the hook for the whole thing. '

I feel like I've read on here that Black Bear's tunes don't void the warranty? Other than maybe using the wrong guy, what is different here?

OP
OP
T

T-boneT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not gonna pretend to know enough about tuning, but evidently there is resetting to the original factory settings, but then there is also a way to reset to "stock file" that keeps GM from seeing the mods?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about tuning but I know that when I use my hypertech and or autocal I have the option to install the tuned file or put my stock file back, I know the stock file should always be kept for instances just like this. If he went in there and somehow edited some specific files maybe he forgot something or left traces behind. @BlackBearPerf

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
So I had a tune done by a local guy here in town. He's done over a hundred yukons, escalades, vetts, etc.

I have a '16 Denali XL and it had been doing great for the 2 weeks after the tune, then boom, get in the truck and start it up and it sounds brutal. Sputtered along for 10 seconds then froze up. The guy that tuned it came back out and tuned it back to stock as it sat dead in my garage. I had it hauled into the dealer and the #5 cylinder is totally locked up. Best bet is to swap out a new motor, $9k later. He said no worries because I still had a couple thousand left on my powertrain warranty.

Fast forward to the next morning, and I guess they forwarded the software to GM and it was flagged for having non-GM software edits made. Warranty void, I'm on the hook for the whole thing. '

I feel like I've read on here that Black Bear's tunes don't void the warranty? Other than maybe using the wrong guy, what is different here?
Did the Tuner guy use a Black Bear Tune or something else? I'm pretty sure with the black bear autocal it has your Stock tune saved so you can always switch back.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the countless forums/articles I read, I have come away with this. It really doesn’t matter who does your tune. Every time the ECU is flashed it leaves and index mark. When GM does an update it marks as well. In their system they have a log for your vin and keep a running tally. Now by you flashing it, that creates a mark regardless if you put the stock tune back. So if there is a power train issue they look to see if your ECM index marks match what they have on file. If not automatic rejection and warranty voided.

I have a tune on mine. I originally just increased the idle because of it being rough, then I figured what the hell let me tune it. Warranty gone anyway. I just couldn’t live with the idle. So if I wanted to trade it in, I would have taken a hit. So I tuned it with a Diablew Tune. Couldn’t be happier. Honestly the thing that’s in the back of my mind is a lifter failure. But life is too short to worry. I’m enjoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the countless forums/articles I read, I have come away with this. It really doesn’t matter who does your tune. Every time the ECU is flashed it leaves and index mark. When GM does an update it marks as well. In their system they have a log for your vin and keep a running tally. Now by you flashing it, that creates a mark regardless if you put the stock tune back. So if there is a power train issue they look to see if your ECM index marks match what they have on file. If not automatic rejection and warranty voided.

I have a tune on mine. I originally just increased the idle because of it being rough, then I figured what the hell let me tune it. Warranty gone anyway. I just couldn’t live with the idle. So if I wanted to trade it in, I would have taken a hit. So I tuned it with a Diablew Tune. Couldn’t be happier. Honestly the thing that’s in the back of my mind is a lifter failure. But life is too short to worry. I’m enjoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the way I've always understood it, being around diesel tuning for awhile.
This is why many liked the fooler boxes.
If it were mine, I would have it rebuilt. A cylinder doesn't just lock up.
Either a lifter failed, holding the valve open and the piston hit it. Or injector hung open and it hydrolocked.
Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Those DI motors are expensive, maybe the tuner ran it too lean? Who knows. What I do know is that BlackBear leaves no trace behind that he was ever in there, nothing for GM to detect.

Telling a person that the #5 cylinder is locked up is about as super fluff in communication one can get, doesn't mean anything. What exactly happened is the question I would ask.

Find out what exactly happened to the motor, tell the fellas here, and they'll let you know about what it would cost to repair, or if it is even worth it.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also research key counts, iirc there was always a count of key cycles. a reflashed vehicle not documented as being done by dealer or authorized location, would reset the key count...

basically a vehicle with *** miles will have numerous key count cycles...not a mere 6 cycle and *** miles, basically that indicates the vehicle has never been shut off

as far as no foot print, numerous devices claim this, and i have never questioned, but a historic data log will show most parameters...if something or numerous items are out of range, it could indicate tampering as well.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I never do anything to a vehicle under warranty. I won't even do anything if someone at the dealership tells me it won't void it (unless it's in writing with the dealership's letterhead). Never give them a reason to deny coverage. That can be a gray area anyway, with the dealer being in control. Lots and lots of expense on the owners part due to these scenarios.

And sorry it happened, OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE