Trying to help a buddy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for the differences between the BT drop spindles vs the BT sp drop stuts? Are the spindles worth the extra money? Ride/handling? Since the shocks need to be replaced anyway...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spindles don't change ride quality and impose less, or maybe just different changes to the factory geometry than springs or lowering struts. The struts alter the ride quality, but I don't think it's much different than stock. Some(most?) say they're softer, others say firmer. How much drop does he want? I only got about 1.5"-1.75" outta my struts. Also got about the same out of my spindles, but they're McGaughy. Maybe the BTs give a full 2" drop. If he's needing new struts, wants a 2" drop (but would be ok with a little less) and doesn't have AutoRide or wants to delete it (about $5 in resistors), then go with the BT struts. As a bonus, he'll be able to add spacer(s) to the left side strut to reduce or eliminate the Chevy Lean.

OP
OP
Drok

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non auto ride. 2/3 is all he wants Since we live in Me with nice bumps. Sounds like the spindles would be the way to go.

chevy lean? Does that happen with spindles too?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spindles don't change anything with the suspension. It only changes were the hub sits on them. Everything in the suspension stays 100% stock.

OP
OP
Drok

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So other then the kit he’ll need the rear sway bar end links correct? Hes got the pan hard bar already.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non auto ride. 2/3 is all he wants Since we live in Me with nice bumps. Sounds like the spindles would be the way to go.

chevy lean? Does that happen with spindles too?

Well, if he needs new struts, then lowering struts seems more logical to me. And if he needs new shocks for the rear, then he can get the matching ones for the struts but shorter (Belltech 2410FF) and 3" drop springs. With the shorter shocks, the extenders won't be needed.

I have some McG 3" coils if he's interested.

The "Chevy Lean" refers to how just about all GM trucks made in the last 30 years are lower on the left side, making it "lean" that way. Some say it's intentional so the truck is level regardless of the crown of the road. Others believe it's because of all the extra weight on the left side from the steering components, fuel tank and driver. It's usually about a 1/2" difference, but has been reported to be more. Most don't notice it at stock height but do after lowering. Being able to adjust the amount of drop in 1/2" increments with the BT struts lets you compensate for this.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Will the alignment kit be needed with the struts or is that if you go lower than 2”.

Every car is different, but the factory cams and slots should have enough adjustment for a 2" drop. I got the kit for mine since they're only $25 and I didn't want any surprises.