Trying to find the right grille part number for my 97 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had to pull the grille and came to the realization that they all aren't the same! The videos I saw all talked about 10 screws, etc. Except the one I finally found that showed mine...4 screws across the top, one in the center, and then a few tabs on the bottom that it just slips into. Just like this:

As a matter of fact, that's my exact grille, for that matter (at least it looks like it, especially with the composite headlights).

Mine has some things going on that make me worry for its longevity (20 years so far is pretty good, but...) so I'm trying to find the right replacement part and that's where I'm stuck. I can't figure out an exact GM part number (it seems that everything is the heavy duty, 10 screw attachment or something) and I'm not really expecting even the OEM for this chunk of plastic to be THAT much.

From what I've found, I *think* that this GM Partslink number I found is the right piece that I'm looking for (GM1200463), but I simply cannot find an OEM part to match it. The cheapest I've found for a replacement piece is in the $80-$90 range. Does that even sound right and any manufacturers to avoid? And does anyone know what the actual GM part number is?

Wedge

Reaction score
I think the difference is either with or without sports package. However I'm not sure which is which.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I sort of have my answer...
I found this at 1aauto (https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-grille/i/1abgr00074) and the video matches. Says the part number for this one is 15981106 and the partlink number on this is GM1200238. From what I can piece together, the difference in the parts is that 238 is all chrome and 463 is "chrome and silver".

I have no idea when my issues with the grille happened, whether it is just wear or work done by careless mechanics. But the plastic tabs for the middle two screws on the top are snapped, so no screw is holding them down and the upper left piece is cracking along the base (I think the right force would snap it) and the middle screw is gone.

So, needless to say, I'm a bit worried about this as it's really only being solidly held by one screw, vs the 5 it's supposed to have. I'm going to at least see about taking one of the ones where the tab broke and put it in the middle.

I love my truck, but don't think I'm ready to throw $170 into the grille. I'm going to call a couple of junk yards and see if I can find something. I started out planning to replace the lights, but the Dorman lights I got mount too high and are putting extra stress on the grille.