truck is under the knife again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans still holding up good, still like it. SOunds like the lq9 and the 85e might be the way to go when going to a lq9

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85e is a animal, and boy, I realize how much output this lq9 has as well. It tosses this big tranny around pretty easy. The dependability is a must have. And so glad I have that billet stall converter.

I cant wait for another few weeks when I drop the gears in with LSD. The 4.88s are going to make both engine and tranny work less. May spin a couple hundred rpm higher, but less work on them.

Cam seems to be coming around the summer, no rush, as the stock has awesome output already.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So still worth going to a lq9 than my 5.3, just find a 85e at the same time?

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So still worth going to a lq9 than my 5.3, just find a 85e at the same time?

Yea, but the lq9 were paired with the 60e. You will need to get a 80e from a 2500 or 3500 pickup truck, and a 85e was put behind the DMAX motors in certain vans.

If your looks for a tranny at the same time you do the swap, just get a Lq4 with trans out of a 2500 or 3500 so it comes with the 80e. You can then mill the heads, to get compression up, to near a LQ9 or more than a LQ9. It will be a beast then.

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
updated the list on page 1

6.0 LQ9 (vortec max)
4L80e transmission #3
4000 rpm 9.5" stall converter
4.88 gears set
Detroit trutrac LSD
305/50/20 (32" tires)
Airaid CAI
LPP long tube headers 1 3/4" primary
3" ORY (catlesS)
4" Magnaflow dumped
160 amp ambulance alternator
chipped the F$@k up; street tuned by Alvin @ www.pcmforless.com

Well the HOE runs like a ***** APE. Next week, the stock piping with muffler gets removed for my new 4" diesel exhaust muffler dumped. Also had to replace the 07 80e as I welded the clutches together on a 8 block burnout!! got a 03 80e to replace it.

Also about to add a engine oil cooler, to keep things cool at those rpms, and a 3rd transmission cooler.

Exterior wise, added my roof rack back, lifted 1.5" rear, added ford keys to level, added wheel spacers all the way around. Going to added black park light housing, and tinted tails

As of now new plans are to ADD some L92 heads milled at tad bit for my new 11.1 compression ratio, new intake with 100mm tb, and a 228/228 cam or similar.

This truck is going to stay NA or maybe a pro-charger to compliment the rpms hp in the future. But NA its comparably just as fast or faster than a supercharged stock motor, in the same truck. But I also have a shit load done to it. And more plans for it including a lil NOS by summer.

IMO I wish my truck came like this, its so much fun messing with those who think they are fast and mashing hard. I also feel like I can tow anything hitched to the back of me too, including a house, and feel very comfortable driving it anywhere.

Last edited:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Videos of said 8 block burnout. HA HA.. Would love to see that. i as well wish they had more power than what they do. Interested in seeing your 4" exhaust, going to be huge.

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, the burnout was pure nasty, I was giving my mechanic a lift home one day, and he wanted to see what it can do, so a floged it pretty hard that day, it ran great! When I parked the truck, and shut off, it cooled to quick. I think I should have left it idle. Cause weather was cold. The welded clutches problem started in the morning. But that guy was totally amazed, said it every bit as quick or quicker than his buddy GTO.. also that this thing handled, and put down. Last night I was going to take a video, I was crusing at 60mph and in 2-3 secs I was 90mph. I may pull out the good camcorder for you. :) I can be at a complete stop, and a car traveling at 50mph, I will be right on there ass just playing as I pull out. Cause I have plenty of throttle to go, but try to keep traction ;) Minded all of this is still on a slipping tranny that was slipping bad with the 3.73s. Got to make time to swap the new tranny this week.

The exhaust will not be so huge, as from my 3" ORY, they weld up the 4" Magnaflow diesel muffler, and then less than 1 foot of 4" pipe turned down right after the muffler. So it will be very free flowing. Im thinking after my milled L92 head/intake/cam swap 500/480 street-able is not too shabby goal.

Last edited:

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet the lq9/l92 setup will make about 500 at the wheels, im planning to build the same setup and drop it in a 2800 lbs car

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. Cant wait to see pictures or videos.

OP
OP
hoe

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. Cant wait to see pictures or videos.

some limited pics I took today, as it was beautiful outside... truck actually has a shit load of tools in the back, jacks, etc, plus a 80e tranny laying in the rear as well. This thing is just a beast with all this weight, and the tranny is slipping like crazy, and still was able to take a nice acceleration video I will upload shortly. No burnouts as I did not have any help filming.

9e5e3e8a.jpg

d308e8ee.jpg

ba930bd5.jpg

1a560fee.jpg

ee8ab670.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

IMO, I LOVE the lifted look better than lowered, and she handles great... still going to add HD hood and some Indicator side mirrors. Then time for the repaint. Video is taking some time to upload.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:51 PM ----------

wouldn't recommend this in a 35mph zone. Did this on a back street after taken the pics. You can see where she really starts to pull as she shifts at 60mph. its insane. All of this is with a slipping 80e tranny waiting to be swapped. The clutches are welded on this one. So Im anxious to see what it will feel like. Notice I had no need to brake stall the truck on this video. But imagine if I did!

th_7a447f78.jpg

th_c8b19477.jpg

This is the same damaged tranny, it used the haul ass with the 3.73s untill the 8 blk burn out.... I cant wait to feel the new tranny. But for now the bad 85e still moves okay. :)

I want to make a smoke show video before I pull it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed