Trouble filling up the gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
You might get lucky. I had to drop the tank to clear the lines fully. I had pellets all the way up to the purge valve on the engine. There more lines than you would think. I dropped the tank cleaned out all the lines, cleaned the inside of the tank, replaced the fuel pump, and all the evap components at the same time.

Bruce0429

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So to give an update on this, Blowing, sucking, all other things didnt help me....
I ended up dropping the fuel tank, and putting compressed air to the vent line. An amazing amount of charcoal blew out of the tube. It was definitely the problem. Now tank fills great!

JMV_05yukonSLE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got my mechanic working on this exact issue now in my 05 Yukon. I've replaced the fuel pump, evap, charcoal canister, and tank. My mechanic bought the charcoal canister at GM - $240. I bought the fuel pump and evap from a NAPA where I get a discount - $270. The gas tank came from a local scrap yard - $90. I've paid my mechanic $350 in labor so far, and it'll probably be a couple hundred more by the time I pick it up today, if it's finally fixed. I'll probably spend around $1100. I could have gotten that charcoal canister for a lot cheaper after market, but I'm in a hurry. I'm not mechanically savvy, but I am capable, and with the help of this thread and some proper tools I could have done this myself. It's just a time issue.

Sorry for the old bump, but this problem has reared it's ugly head in my 2005 Yukon again.

I had the knock sensors replaced and the mechanic told me it threw the P0442 code immediately after.

Had a smoke test done. They found nothing. I've replaced the gas cap with a GM gas cap. It's been a few days, check engine light is still on and you can smell gas outside the vehicle.

So to recap, I've got:
-salvage gas tank(2020 replace)
-GM charcoal canister(2020)
-fuel pump and evap from NAPA(2020)
-gas cap(2023)

What should I look at next if the smoke test didn't reveal anything?

EDIT: to clarify, I have no problem filling the gas tank this time. No apparent problems at all. I've just got a check engine light on and you can smell gas on the outside any time I crank it. It's a 4.8, I'm still getting 17+ mpg on the interstate.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for the old bump, but this problem has reared it's ugly head in my 2005 Yukon again.

I had the knock sensors replaced and the mechanic told me it threw the P0442 code immediately after.

Had a smoke test done. They found nothing. I've replaced the gas cap with a GM gas cap. It's been a few days, check engine light is still on and you can smell gas outside the vehicle.

So to recap, I've got:
-salvage gas tank(2020 replace)
-GM charcoal canister(2020)
-fuel pump and evap from NAPA(2020)
-gas cap(2023)

What should I look at next if the smoke test didn't reveal anything?

EDIT: to clarify, I have no problem filling the gas tank this time. No apparent problems at all. I've just got a check engine light on and you can smell gas on the outside any time I crank it. It's a 4.8, I'm still getting 17+ mpg on the interstate.

See https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/p0442-permanent-code-hitting-a-wall.130840/post-1631022

I would recommend a purge and seal test.

Eldiablo

Reaction score
I am wondering if this is a unique problem to my Yukon XL or if it is wide spread one. When I filling up the tank, the handle clicks off (like it is full) at least five times during a fill up. I know it isn't full because I have only put in about 5 gallons when it happens the first time. I have tried pulling the nozzle out a little, pushing it to the side, pushing it further in, etc. It seems it is worse at gas stations that have a fast flow.

Anyone else have this problem?
evap electronic vent valve is dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287