Trouble filling up the gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Im having an issue im hoping someone can help.I have a 01 hoe and if I fill it up and dont manually stop it,then when its full enough to click off the pump,as soon as it clicks off gas spews out and all down the side of my truck,maybe half a liter.

Sound like either a weak vent solenoid or partially clogged or kinked vent line. The vent line is the smaller hose coming off the filler if you look at it from behind the fender. Make sure the smaller hose is not kinked.

RoosterTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have tried all of the usual recommendations and still have a problem with the pump shutting off while fueling, please see the attached PDF. My charcoal canister became compromised and leaked, this is how I fixed it.

Attachments

• Vapor writeup - modified.pdf
    546.3 KB · Views: 336

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
If you have tried all of the usual recommendations and still have a problem with the pump shutting off while fueling, please see the attached PDF. My charcoal canister became compromised and leaked, this is how I fixed it.
rooster how did you attach vacuum to the tank line with that stupid fitting?

yarslew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent write-up. Good pics and thorough descriptions of what you tried that did not work and what did. I just replaced my charcoal canister and vapor canister with no good results, but the charcoal pellets came out of the big box when I tried to clean it, and it weighs about twice as much as the new one. I didn't check to see if all the lines were clear (mistake), so that's the next step. I may try to make an adapter for the tank vent line by cutting off the pipe on the old charcoal canister. Not sure that will be necessary. I'm wondering if after changing out the charcoal canister we might be ruining the new one by trying to fill up the tank with it shutting off every 2 seconds. Thanks for the great explanation. I've never taken my vehicle to a dealer or mechanic. Just not in my genes.

Brian Griffith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent write-up. Good pics and thorough descriptions of what you tried that did not work and what did. I just replaced my charcoal canister and vapor canister with no good results, but the charcoal pellets came out of the big box when I tried to clean it, and it weighs about twice as much as the new one. I didn't check to see if all the lines were clear (mistake), so that's the next step. I may try to make an adapter for the tank vent line by cutting off the pipe on the old charcoal canister. Not sure that will be necessary. I'm wondering if after changing out the charcoal canister we might be ruining the new one by trying to fill up the tank with it shutting off every 2 seconds. Thanks for the great explanation. I've never taken my vehicle to a dealer or mechanic. Just not in my genes.
I had this problem on my 01 xl replaced purge valve and every other thing recommended to fix problem and nothing worked. took it to the dealer and they said that if you keep pumping gas after the pump shuts off which i was guilty of.you over fill it and it backs up into the hard plastic vent lines that are molded into the tank and as the fuel evaporates it leaves residue from all the crap they put in gas now , and eventually the lines get blocked . they had to replace the tank because there are several of those lines and most were plugged.

Joe Collins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck. I've replaced the canister 2x, new fuel pump, nothing has fixed it. Every so often I get Tighten Fuel Cap and then a check engine light.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
My new replacement solenoid for the rear was defective out of the box (ac delco). Second one worked fine. Do yourself a favor and bench test before you bother installing