Transmission replacement costs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobH

Reaction score
Picked up mine from the local Chevrolet dealer this afternoon. Classic symptoms, slipping torque converter clutch, delayed clunky shifts, etc. Started at 121,000 miles. Drove it gently to get home from a trip.

See "https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...n-p0700-b2aaa-p0741-b2aaa.141132/post-1776149" for more details.

GM Reman Transmission including torque converter...
.... 4042.80 - 42.80 = $4000
Labor 9 hours @ $170 = 1530
Misc. parts, fluid, etc. = 172
Transmission change out sub-total = 5702

70C/158F Thermal Bypass Valve 86774933 = 88
Rear engine Seal labor 1 hour @ $170 = 170
Rear Engine seal Part # 12705663 = 98
Grand total = 6058
Plus Texas Sales Tax

So far it is behaving. The temp is running 150°F ±1°F in 90°F ambient temperature.

I didn't ask why there is a charge for the Service Bulletin Thermal Bypass Valve. Does the transmission not come with a Thermal Bypass Valve? Are they still installing the 90C valve a year and a half after the service bulletin came out and charging the customer for the service bulletin valve? Or did I just get charged for it because I said I wanted it?

I asked for the rear main seal to be replaced as suggested by THarber. Hopefully, one and done.

The GM warranty appeared to be more workable, especially on the road. I never did get a price out of AAMCO. The Jasper warranty gave Jasper the right to have the transmission sent back to them for evaluation. I didn't want to do that on the road someplace.

Since I didn't have a shop in town I could trust to turn out a good transmission rather than cut corners, I went with the GM three year 100,000 mile warranty. There may be good shops in San Antonio, I just don't know which ones.

Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great information here. Normally I would receive notifications of responses, but not this time. Here's the breakdown: $5100 for the transmission. 100K/3 year warranty. Dont know where it came from, should have asked. Labor was $1794 (10 hours). Will say I have taken my Tahoes to this shop in San Diego for several years now and never felt ripped off, or anything. This felt different, but its all said and done. California is plain stupid expensive.

Just wanted to thank those that responded. Again, previous posts I would get an email that someone responded, not this post. Appreciate you guys.
@Madcircle, I'm in San Diego too. Which shop did you take your car to, if you don't mind me asking? I don't have any problems...yet, but I like to prepare for what seems like an inevitable decline.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@89Suburban, Lansdale.

Purely FYI (no harm, no foul) but I hate the term’ “bud” - always seen it as mildly insulting. No way you could have known that, just taking the opportunity to let it be known to membership at large.

Folks can just call me Nick (first name) or mention me @NickTransmissions on the board or in messages. @alpha_omega for your info also.

Thanks in advance…

ETA: quotes don’t seem to be working at this time

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@89Suburban, Lansdale.

Purely FYI (no harm, no foul) but I hate the term’ “bud” - always seen it as mildly insulting. No way you could have known that, just taking the opportunity to let it be known to membership at large.

Folks can just call me Nick (first name) or mention me @NickTransmissions on the board or in ***. @alpha_omega for your info also.

Thanks in advance…

ETA: quotes don’t seem to be working at this time
I just quoted this. Hope it is working.

I am right there with ya with calling someone "bud". My pet peeve word is "DUDE". I absolutely hate that, right along with posts that are one long sentence and no capital letters or punctuation. I want to read a cognizant explanation of a problem or comment in chronological order and really hate when the year, make and model and engine size is not given.

It's like that info is a "secret" sometimes. I still say, when a new member signs up, they should be prompted to put vehicle(s) info in their signatures.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just quoted this. Hope it is working.

I am right there with ya with calling someone "bud". My pet peeve word is "DUDE". I absolutely hate that, right along with posts that are one long sentence and no capital letters or punctuation. I want to read a cognizant explanation of a problem or comment in chronological order and really hate when the year, make and model and engine size is not given.

It's like that info is a "secret" sometimes. I still say, when a new member signs up, they should be prompted to put vehicle(s) info in their signatures.
+1 on all that. Wall of texts are def hard to wade through, paragraphs make things a lot easier. I will say folks on this forum seems to be good about that for the most part, at least compared to many others that I frequent.

Quotes are working again!

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @Miami-Dade - glad to be here...I was ripped off by a transmission shop when I was a kid. I had a 86 Fleetwood Brougham that was immaculate, ran great, flawless leather interior, etc that I took to a local Cottman Transmissions where I lived about 30 min outside Philly. They rebuilt the trans, put it back in and three weeks later it started to slip and leak. When I told them about it, they originally wouldn't take it back (blamed me for doing something to it, lol). Anway, after having our family atty write them a nasty letter, they agreed to the warranty work. Drove it across country to go to college at ASU about four months after the fact and shortly after arriving it started to slip again and eventually completely failed. I had to sell the car since I couldn't afford to get it fixed...Broke my heart to get rid of it...Told myself that would never happen again.

FF like 15 years later (and 10 years ago), had an 87 Chevy R10 pickup w/700R4 that started to go out...In the intervening years, I had already taught myself how to rebuild engines, differentials and pretty much anything else on a car so learning how to rebuild the transmission was the next logical step. So i looked up what trans was in it, went to the junkyard to grab a core and tore it down, taking notes and pics along the way. Put it back together and installed it in the truck...and it worked! I really enjoyed the rebuild process so helped a couple friends with their 4L60Es and started building a small business from there. Since I done over 800 transmission rebuilds and never have to worry about getting taken for a ride from a transmission shop.

I will have some upcoming reassembly videos on the 6L80E...In the process of going through a junkyard core now and will finish it up once I'm back in town (traveling over the next 10 days).
View attachment 397744
Nice work. Any chance the Cottman was in P'ville NJ? They ruined an Oldsmobile 88 when I was in school in the area.
Quick question, how does one know if the bypass has been installed already or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14