Transmission problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easy way to tell is to see if your rear axles have steering linkage to turn the wheels that would silence the naysayers. I'm not sure the presence of a fuse means much. There aren't fuse boxes and wiring harnesses specific to every individual option combination, only a few variations. Maybe you ended up with a fuse box/harness variation that also included the 4WS system and then somebody along the lines saw and empty fuse position in the box and decided to fill it (even though the option isn't there).

The even easier way is to look at your RPO code list (the sticker in the glove box with a bunch of 3-digit codes on it). According to my GM Master RPO code list the code for 4-wheel steering is "NYS". If "NYS" is on your glovebox sticker you should have the 4-wheel steering (unless it was removed at some point).
What's an rpo code? Sorry do you mean Vince code?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck felt like a bucking bronco when I first got it, trying to go in three different directions until we changed all the drive train fluids.
Almost done. Around 1000 dollars and the entire drivetrain system fluid change will be complete. Around 330,000 kms. No leaks after the transmission was flushed! Hope it shifts better. I will update later. At least there should be less of a slip when it shifts now. He said the transmission fluid was black. So good I had it done.

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost done. Around 1000 dollars and the entire drivetrain system fluid change will be complete. Around 330,000 kms. No leaks after the transmission was flushed! Hope it shifts better. I will update later. At least there should be less of a slip when it shifts now. He said the transmission fluid was black. So good I had it done.

Good thing is they used the latest dextran 6 I think is the latest. Only 30 min more I think.

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easy way to tell is to see if your rear axles have steering linkage to turn the wheels that would silence the naysayers. I'm not sure the presence of a fuse means much. There aren't fuse boxes and wiring harnesses specific to every individual option combination, only a few variations. Maybe you ended up with a fuse box/harness variation that also included the 4WS system and then somebody along the lines saw and empty fuse position in the box and decided to fill it (even though the option isn't there).

The even easier way is to look at your RPO code list (the sticker in the glove box with a bunch of 3-digit codes on it). According to my GM Master RPO code list the code for 4-wheel steering is "NYS". If "NYS" is on your glovebox sticker you should have the 4-wheel steering (unless it was removed at some point).
I will check. Oh well. Just odd that when you disable the traction control my steering is so much better for parking.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's an rpo code? Sorry do you mean Vince code?

RPO codes are the codes used to tell exactly what options your vehicle has. There should be a longlist of 3-digit codes on a sticker in the glovebox. That will tell you everything right down to paint/interior colors, axle gear ratio, etc... IE, GT5 code is a 4.10:1 gear ratio, G80 code is limited slip differential, ZW7 is premium smooth-ride suspension (Nivomat), and as previously mentioned, NYS code is 4 wheel stearing

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPO codes are the codes used to tell exactly what options your vehicle has. There should be a longlist of 3-digit codes on a sticker in the glovebox. That will tell you everything right down to paint/interior colors, axle gear ratio, etc... IE, GT5 code is a 4.10:1 gear ratio, G80 code is limited slip differential, ZW7 is premium smooth-ride suspension (Nivomat), and as previously mentioned, NYS code is 4 wheel stearing
I will look for that. The fluid change went well. The transmission still slips but not as bad.

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine is found out is the 465LE. I was thinking it was the 60. Almost the same though. Interesting read thanks for the information!

Thanks for the information. Yes the transmission flush helped. It still slips but not as bad. I asked and the shop said they don't carry destroy 3 only 6. Thank you for your knowledge and insight. The truck is 15 years old after all. The mechanic said the transmission was really dirty. So at least the transmission will last longer. I was afraid in the beginning that it would fail.

OP
OP
S

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck felt like a bucking bronco when I first got it, trying to go in three different directions until we changed all the drive train fluids.
I have noticed improvement. I know the mechanic said the transmission was really dirty and had too much fluid. So they used dextron 6. I also forgot to mention one item. If anyone else decides to flush remember you don't need to replace the filter.

I would have liked to replace but the transmission pan had been changed with an aftermarket one. So the drain plug was stripped. I left it and got the flush. They told me at the shop it would cost quite a bit more to get it changed as well. Wish I could have afforded it. Although this way I know my drivetrain will last a lot longer.

If you don't have a leak (as mine didn't) I would not be afraid of a flush. The new systems use motor power. The old systems used a high power pump is why they blew seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645