Transmission oil life monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after playing with my tech 2 I saw the transmission has an oil life monitor of its own. right now I'm at 111k miles and the oil life monitor is at 21%. I know I should change the filter and whatever fluid I lose but how accurate is the oil life monitor in the transmission?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I assume that you would have to go into the pcm thru a Tech 2
and reset the trans oil life monitor manually ??????
Just curious, as I've serviced mine but never reset anything

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I assume that you would have to go into the pcm thru a Tech 2
and reset the trans oil life monitor manually ??????
Just curious, as I've serviced mine but never reset anything

Well, it's in the main menu on the TCM, one of the last entries.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but does trans oil really last that much longer than engine oil? or is it that it's unless less stress so last longer?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but does trans oil really last that much longer than engine oil? or is it that it's unless less stress so last longer?

Transmission oil/fluid has a much longer change interval than Engine oil. They are designed for two different functions.

Engine oil is in the neighborhood of 3K to 5K miles, depending on driving and personal preference. Transmission fluid should go 50K to 70K based on driving and personal preference.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
after playing with my tech 2 I saw the transmission has an oil life monitor of its own. right now I'm at 111k miles and the oil life monitor is at 21%. I know I should change the filter and whatever fluid I lose but how accurate is the oil life monitor in the transmission?

Just asking when you are "playing with your tech2" are you key on/eng off or idling? Can one of you tech2 guru's chime in and give an opinion on the best way to "practice" with the tech2. Should i allways be using the remote power supply and not relying on the vehicle power through the DTC connector? I feel better knowing i have the tech2, it is in the box and stays in the car. My issue is that i doubt i could effectively diagnose a code! lol

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only been playing with mine for about 2 weeks but I use it with just the key on until I get the message that the engine needs to be on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos