Transmission heeelllllllpppppp! Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Maine

Maine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, anything in the drivetrain behind the rear ring gear in the transmission (which is where the parking pawl locks)that is broke can cause no Park condition i.e. t case diff etc or a broken trans ring gear
Thanks , will try to take a look in morning.

OP
OP
Maine

Maine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could put the rear end up and listen to it in a gear that works too see how the pumpkin/axle sounds. Usually with the transfer case, the lights on the 4wd switch won't do what they're supposed to if it's trouble.
I will most definitely check that also in morning. Thanks again

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its your tranny, at first at was going to say cable, then I saw no 2nd and r. Weird you dont have park. It does fit these 2 symptoms though.

Common 4l60e failures

7. Sudden grinding noise with no prior warning primarily in 2nd gear, behavior in reverse may be abnormal; sunshell is fractured. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

8. 1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R; sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

Number 8 is a classic one. Happened to me at 160/80k cant remember exactly, how many miles on it? Just curious

OP
OP
Maine

Maine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its odd your having a no 2nd and 4th condition AND a park issue, usually those are 2 separate issues. Generally broken ring gear and planets in the trans will cause no Park with a grinding or ratching type sound when its rolling away in Park. A broken sun shell may make a grind in reverse but won't affect Park
Bingo, grinding / ratcheting sound when rolling and grinding sound in reverse. That’s exactly the sounds I’m getting, and correction no 2nd or 4th gear.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not unusual for these trannys to grenade and have multiple symptoms.
Just feel lucky you were near home when it went pining for the fjords.
The '06 Silverado did it when I was 10 hours from home and I just made it to a Chevy Dealer we used in Norfolk.
I literally made it on to their lot when it totally died! Had to walk across the street and rent a car for a few days.

We ended up replacing everything. Tranny, converter, cooling lines, and the cooler itself!
It dumped so much stuff in that they couldn't even pump fluid through the cooling system!

My case is extreme as I had been warning the Company that the tranny temps were running high. They just told me to run it till it dies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts