Transmission Fluid Temperatures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvpvic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New owner of a pre owned 2016 LT w/ max tow pckg. Been driving around for a week noticed temps are around 190 most of the time with just myself in the vehicle not towing or any cargo. Yesterday was a warmer day about 94F or so and I saw it spike to 196 while going up couple hills around my house. Are these normal temps? I searched other threads and it seems like it there’s a mixture of answers. I’m used to my 6.7L ram that never goes above 190 even Ive I’m heavily loaded. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New owner of a pre owned 2016 LT w/ max tow pckg. Been driving around for a week noticed temps are around 190 most of the time with just myself in the vehicle not towing or any cargo. Yesterday was a warmer day about 94F or so and I saw it spike to 196 while going up couple hills around my house. Are these normal temps? I searched other threads and it seems like it there’s a mixture of answers. I’m used to my 6.7L ram that never goes above 190 even Ive I’m heavily loaded. Any feedback is appreciated.

Your truck has a thermostat for the transmission fluid too. So it's always going to be near that temperature unless you change it or remove it. It was put there for emission purposes, not longevity.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While 6 degrees isn’t much Mine fluctuates when towing uphill but not unloaded. Is the power train still under warranty?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow James you always have new nuggets of info. Whodathunk a thermostat for trans fluid?????
Yeah, it's set for 180*.

Towing, my temp will get up to around 210* uphill. I've heard that these are built (fluid too) to withstand up to 240* with no adverse effects.

OP
OP
D

dvpvic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While 6 degrees isn’t much Mine fluctuates when towing uphill but not unloaded. Is the power train still under warranty?
No it is not under warranty.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe James can tell us if it should fluctuate unloaded but you might consider adding an external trans cooler if it’s a concern I’ll watch mine tonight gotta drive in traffic up and down hills.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe James can tell us if it should fluctuate unloaded but you might consider adding an external trans cooler if it’s a concern I’ll watch mine tonight gotta drive in traffic up and down hills.

Well, for those of us with older trucks, yes the temperature fluctuates more. I would imagine that the K2s temps will be more stable with the thermostat. The OPs temps are fine and the transmission can handle a lot more before any warnings go off which are north of 260 degrees.

OP
OP
D

dvpvic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah if you could give me a rough idea that would be great. But for the most part sounds like I should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts