Suburban LS base model diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the order goes well for you. Yes, the Dmax will certainly be more rare and not necessarily because buyer's didn't want them. When i couldn't find one, i asked my dealer about getting one. They said they hadn't ordered any, and didn't plan to. Fortunately, they were willing to use an allotment to order one for me. After mine arrived they said they liked it so much they would probably get one or two for dealer stock to see how it goes. Obviously their default mode is to keep ordering what they're familiar with. I doubt their attitude is unique.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the same with my local dealer, had sold no Yukon's with LM2, and only few Sierras. Would never order any, says buyers do not want them.... WHAT?
That why I went 3 hrs away...

OP
OP
Tinbadtin

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there, (long reply, but not easy to find this info) looks like you are in similar situation as me. I sold my 2016 Yukon XL SLT 8 passenger and with current family needs wanted to get 9 passenger, but at the same time I did not want to miss on many useful features. I was debating to order SLE, but looking at the dashboard and all controls I saw that it may not be difficult to swap the console into a center seat. I wanted to order Denali XL diesel to get all options including magnetic ride and adjustable air-ride suspension, but was told they had a hold/restrain on 3.0l diesel, so I was looking around and found a 2021 Suburban RST 3.0l diesel with technology pkg, and sunroof, $70k MSRP, with with most options that I wanted. (it's only missing front cooled seats, magnetic/air-ride, and adaptive cruise). I bought it and also found a leather center seat from Chevy pickup truck on ebay for about $350 or so. I did the swap, but it turned out a little more complicated than I was expecting, but not too bad. I am very happy with results, and I now actually ordered 2022 Denali XL and once it comes I will try to sell the Suburban, with current market, if it stays about the same, I should be able to get my money out. (message me directly if you want more info and part#s for what you will need) see pictures of my front row
And here are the options I really wanted to have that are not available on LE/SLE: leather, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, power folding/release 2nd row and 3rd row seats, power trunk lid with handsfree sensor (useful feature), Bose system (although you have to remove subwoofer that is under the console, and i plan to try to make small custom box that would fit under the seat to put it back, but it sounds ok without it, just less bass), panoramic sunroof.

This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing. Looks very clean, wouldn’t be able to tell it didn’t come from the factory like that. how would you rate the overall effort to do this? I’m not super comfortable working on my vehicles myself, especially when still under warranty. I assume it involved replacing (some) of the carpet and existing wiring?

Definitely would be interested in all the parts involved. Have you considered doing a write up? Lol. But again, looks very unique and clean. Well done!!

yukon-xl

Reaction score
Our '21 yukon has base suspension aka premium smooth ride suspension and it rides really really nice. It's super smooth and doesn't nose dive or have massive body roll or anything excessive. Definitely not losing any sleep over not having magneride or air.
A couple things I could not live without on this vehicle would be heated seats (seem to be standard equipment on most new cars) and these amazing led headlights. I'm not sure what the chevy has for lighting but damn the gmc headlights are fantastic.

I considered a baby duramax at first but after a bit of research decided that was not the engine for me. Way too much tech on an unproven platform. I suppose time will tell but these look designed to fail IMO
Do you have 22" or 20" wheels?

yukon-xl

Reaction score
This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing. Looks very clean, wouldn’t be able to tell it didn’t come from the factory like that. how would you rate the overall effort to do this? I’m not super comfortable working on my vehicles myself, especially when still under warranty. I assume it involved replacing (some) of the carpet and existing wiring?

Definitely would be interested in all the parts involved. Have you considered doing a write up? Lol. But again, looks very unique and clean. Well done!!
I just received the lower piece of the trim and still need to install it. The pictures I posted are taken from an angle that you cant see where carpet/floor meets the lower center console, because there is a gap/opening still below the center dash trim I installed. And the carpet has a hole in it on the hump where the console was, but I covered it with a oem rear floormat from my subaru legacy for now. I also purchased aftermarket all weather floor liners on amazon for pickup truck that come with one piece front liner that goes over the hump, and installed it, however, it is a bit too big, and is not a perfect fit over the hump, but overall looks good and is good protection (see photo). I will post more pictures when I am done. As far as overall effort, I thought it would be smoother/easier. The main issue I ran into is the center dash trim that covers heating controls, audio knobs and where front heated/cooled seats controls are, is different on LS/SLE trim compared to higher trims. (i whish it was the same, because it looked the same on dealers website pictures and videos of both trim levels i have seen... but it's not, and it is angled a little different, meaning the lower part of it comes out about 1/2 inch closer to the jump seat that I installed, so at the end, I believe the legroom in that center seat I installed has about 1/2 inch less space. And if I buy the correct dash cover from LS model, it will not have openings where heated/cooled front seats controls are located... so then you would have to cut them out, and I am not sure how easy it will be and how it will look) I am still very happy with results and It's not noticeable and it looks like original. (see pictures of parts i ordered and the difference in dash trim/cover, i installed #2, and just received #3 lower trim, i left #1 trim stock because it has heated seat controls in it) Hope that helps. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• LS trims, no heated seats controls and angled down.JPG
    LS trims, no heated seats controls and angled down.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 23
  • LT and up trim, with heated seat controls and agled in.JPG
    LT and up trim, with heated seat controls and agled in.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
  • one piece front liner.jpg
    one piece front liner.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 28
  • heater trim, different angles.JPG
    heater trim, different angles.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

yukon-xl

Reaction score
this video helped me a lot, it's someone who did it on GMC pickup:
also, more pics from mine (dealer does not sell seat as one piece, it's all by small parts, so you can find a seat on ebay, they range from $300-$700 or so, make sure to buy new version/design that has shoulder belt, because older generation had jump seat with only lap belt, the new generation vary, some have upper and lower storage, some only upper and some no storage at all, and also some have vents in back panel for rear passengers on pickup trucks and some have plastic cover with nothing) Mine had nothing in the back which is ok because you need a different trim anyways, so i removed the cover and installed the #84886126 trim and original controls from console fit there perfectly.

Attachments

• floor carpet hole in the hump.jpg
    floor carpet hole in the hump.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 28
  • carpet hole covered temporary.jpg
    carpet hole covered temporary.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 24
  • center seat from ebay, cheby pickup , no rear controls.png
    center seat from ebay, cheby pickup , no rear controls.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 23
  • center seat back panel trim for heating controls.JPG
    center seat back panel trim for heating controls.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
  • back of seat, heating controls.png
    back of seat, heating controls.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have 22" or 20" wheels?
We have 20” wheels. Did not care for the look or wet performance of the stock tires so just got stock size nitto ridge grapplers and they are much better

yukon-xl

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I also prefer 20" for smoother ride, especially without magnetic ride suspension. I like the look of 22" but 20" will ride smoother.
Magnetic ride and air-ride suspension may offset the stiffness of 22"

yukon-xl

Reaction score
this video helped me a lot, it's someone who did it on GMC pickup:
also, more pics from mine (dealer does not sell seat as one piece, it's all by small parts, so you can find a seat on ebay, they range from $300-$700 or so, make sure to buy new version/design that has shoulder belt, because older generation had jump seat with only lap belt, the new generation vary, some have upper and lower storage, some only upper and some no storage at all, and also some have vents in back panel for rear passengers on pickup trucks and some have plastic cover with nothing) Mine had nothing in the back which is ok because you need a different trim anyways, so i removed the cover and installed the #84886126 trim and original controls from console fit there perfectly.
Also, wanted to mention that on Suburban LS and Yukon XL SLE, if you order front row bench, 9 passenger, there is one less airbag (6 instead of 7). So when you have center console there is a right seat airbag that is in between driver seat and center console, so driver seat has two airbags, one on right side and one on left side. And on SLE/LS option with jump seat (front row bench) that airbag is not there. I believe it's not safe to have it active if you have a seat installed because during accident it can deploy and possibly injure the front center passenger. So I plan to unplug it and install a resistor. (to trick the system so it work as all airbags are present)
I am not sure if it is the same case on pickup trucks.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, wanted to mention that on Suburban LS and Yukon XL SLE, if you order front row bench, 9 passenger, there is one less airbag (6 instead of 7). So when you have center console there is a right seat airbag that is in between driver seat and center console, so driver seat has two airbags, one on right side and one on left side. And on SLE/LS option with jump seat (front row bench) that airbag is not there. I believe it's not safe to have it active if you have a seat installed because during accident it can deploy and possibly injure the front center passenger. So I plan to unplug it and install a resistor. (to trick the system so it work as all airbags are present)
I am not sure if it is the same case on pickup trucks.
Wow. Some good info there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE