Transmission fluid change tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaneS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im getting ready to drive from CO to FL pulling my 4Runner behind the Denali so I’ve been changing all the fluids to Amsoil. Did the tranny today and followed the YouTube video below:

Super easy process but I did t change my filter so I’m sure saved a chunk of time and lot of F bombs. Here are a couple tips I have from doing it.

- definitely need polyethylene line 3/8” OD. Vinyl tubing would be too soft to seal against the jiffy fit O-ring in the radiator. It’s only $4 for 25’ at Lowe’s.

- it takes 2 people. Someone has to hold the poly line into the fitting. I could feel the pressure trying to push it out a few times. Thankfully, I was holding it in place. So someone else has to start and stop the truck.

- i used some vice grips to hold the snap ring when reinstalling it. I was terrified of dropping it in the bay so the small needle nose vice grips worked perfectly.

- I pushed just under 11 qts through and the fluid was just turning bright red again. So I’d buying 3gallons of fluid and just cycle it all through.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Im getting ready to drive from CO to FL pulling my 4Runner behind the Denali so I’ve been changing all the fluids to Amsoil. Did the tranny today and followed the YouTube video below:

Super easy process but I did t change my filter so I’m sure saved a chunk of time and lot of F bombs. Here are a couple tips I have from doing it.

- definitely need polyethylene line 3/8” OD. Vinyl tubing would be too soft to seal against the jiffy fit O-ring in the radiator. It’s only $4 for 25’ at Lowe’s.

- it takes 2 people. Someone has to hold the poly line into the fitting. I could feel the pressure trying to push it out a few times. Thankfully, I was holding it in place. So someone else has to start and stop the truck.

- i used some vice grips to hold the snap ring when reinstalling it. I was terrified of dropping it in the bay so the small needle nose vice grips worked perfectly.

- I pushed just under 11 qts through and the fluid was just turning bright red again. So I’d buying 3gallons of fluid and just cycle it all through.

I have allways done flushes using this method and with perfect results. Seeing the pan/exhaust crossover interference is an added decision. I am a firm believer in "meticulous" cleaning of the pan and not inducing any debris whatsoever which requires pan removal and unobstructed install. The 08 xl1500 6.2 awd is new to me and had dealer flushes at 50k and 78k. The car is at 127k now so overdue. I want to install a pan with a drain plug and do the filter so that i can get away with a couple of subsequent flushes without pan removal/filter replacement so im going to have to deal with getting the pan off and on somehow. I was looking at the exhaust to engine manifold but that is six rusted probably going to "snap" bolts. Ill figuer it out somehow. Anyway,Good work on getting it done and extending the trans life!

OP
OP
D

DaneS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have allways done flushes using this method and with perfect results. Seeing the pan/exhaust crossover interference is an added decision. I am a firm believer in "meticulous" cleaning of the pan and not inducing any debris whatsoever which requires pan removal and unobstructed install. The 08 xl1500 6.2 awd is new to me and had dealer flushes at 50k and 78k. The car is at 127k now so overdue. I want to install a pan with a drain plug and do the filter so that i can get away with a couple of subsequent flushes without pan removal/filter replacement so im going to have to deal with getting the pan off and on somehow. I was looking at the exhaust to engine manifold but that is six rusted probably going to "snap" bolts. Ill figuer it out somehow. Anyway,Good work on getting it done and extending the trans life!
Yeah, I imagine I should have changed the filter with the fluid but I just did not want to deal with that right now. I’ll probably do it next year after we are all settled from moving. The CarFax showed regular maintenance but I still hate not knowing just how well fluids were kept up. It doesn’t help that I don’t trust shops or dealers to do the work they charge for...

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a technique I used where you put pressure on the exhaust to allow space for pan to slide off. It was very risky but seemed to be the fastest approach, nothing needed to be unbolted. It worked for me but still wasnt easy and due to the nightmares I got, my defense mechanism made me forget most of the process. I remember using a tube with a fitting that didnt fit well and it made a bit of a mess. Definitely recommend the right parts to keep this job as clean as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DetcJohnKimble