Transmission Fluid Change Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I missing here? The trans hit 210-215 a few times and we're already talking about impending failure?

Everybody does know that the "trans hot, idle engine" warning comes on at 265°, right?
And everyone knows Dex6 can go even higher than that for short periods with minimal degradation, right?

I've had my transmission much higher than 215°, it has 190k miles on it, and it still functions/shifts perfectly. I drive it hard, tow really heavy stuff, and generally abuse the hell out of it. Moving 16,000 lbs up towards the Eisenhower Tunnel:
H2EL8bV.jpg

To the OP - your transmission is not on the verge of failure. Do a full flush and keep on trucking. I do a full flush every 50k. YMMV.

do you have transmission cooler?

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Yep, 1500 Denali XL I have the stock cooler but may change that out for a bigger one... But with that said it is good to know some of the temps' people hit and are fine... My local shop said he doesn't worry about his tran temp until it is running at 240... I really love this truck so I'm just looking to do as much preventive maintenance as I can on my own to save some cash... I'm going to do the transfer case and axle grease next weekend and keep trucking, thanks for all the quick advice today.... Flush done, washed the truck and now I'm cracking a cold High Life and enjoying the rest of the day!

Cheers!

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these temps are ok but not for long run anything above 200 is slowly damaging transmission.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Thanks @Chrismnj

I'm pulling the trailer down to FL at the end of the month when I'm back from my work trip so that will give me a good read on how's it is going....

I will say that was some nasty look fluid and looks way better now at the dip-stick, that alone has gotta help at this point....

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing is its not a 2500 its 2012 yuk denali xl.... 1500 last i checked

Chris quoted me, and asked, "Do you have a transmission cooler?" at the top of this page. Last I checked, I think it's safe to assume he was asking me, not the OP.

these temps are ok but not for long run anything above 200 is slowly damaging transmission.

Really? Normal operating temperature for the 6L80/90 is 190-200°. So running at 201° is slowly damaging the transmission? Dex6 was a pretty large leap in the temperature capabilities of transmission fluid. You should really do some research before making comments like that.

If you really want to be technical, running the transmission at all is slowly damaging it. The question is, at what elevated temperature do you see significant reduction in life of the transmission? I'll give you a hint, it's higher than 215°.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris quoted me, and asked, "Do you have a transmission cooler?" at the top of this page. Last I checked, I think it's safe to assume he was asking me, not the OP.

Really? Normal operating temperature for the 6L80/90 is 190-200°. So running at 201° is slowly damaging the transmission? Dex6 was a pretty large leap in the temperature capabilities of transmission fluid. You should really do some research before making comments like that.

If you really want to be technical, running the transmission at all is slowly damaging it. The question is, at what elevated temperature do you see significant reduction in life of the transmission? I'll give you a hint, it's higher than 215°.

Really 201°? I always try to keep mine Under 200,

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
What am I missing here? The trans hit 210-215 a few times and we're already talking about impending failure?

Everybody does know that the "trans hot, idle engine" warning comes on at 265°, right?
And everyone knows Dex6 can go even higher than that for short periods with minimal degradation, right?

I've had my transmission much higher than 215°, it has 190k miles on it, and it still functions/shifts perfectly. I drive it hard, tow really heavy stuff, and generally abuse the hell out of it. Moving 16,000 lbs up towards the Eisenhower Tunnel:
H2EL8bV.jpg

To the OP - your transmission is not on the verge of failure. Do a full flush and keep on trucking. I do a full flush every 50k. YMMV.

Geeze, I didnt mean to get you on the defensive! My opinion to anyone is if they tow heavy and frequently the trans is wearing at an accellerated rate and be prepared for a trans replacement and purchase one designed to tow. Temps increase in auto's from slippage/friction not from "lockup", he noted temps "out of the norm" for his vehicle, I didnt mean to imply imminent failure. Now based upon your pic's, temps, RPM i think you should be carrying a broom and wheelbarrow/kittylitter to assist the towtruck with cleaning up your mess. I dont think you should be proud of having to run that thing like that, more lucky that it hasnt grenaded yet? Oh and i allmost forgot, If you ever decide to sell your vehicle dont forget to to word the for sale sign as "generally abused the hell out of it"

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900