Transmission Fluid Change Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Hi all,

A little background

2012 Yukon Denali XL about 130 k and some change.

Lots of highway driving and towing of my travel trailer and boat

When I got the Truck with around 80,000-mile Transmission Fluid looked pretty good, which I was ok with as I would rather it look decent than cherry red as if someone just changed it.

Drove it that way for about 25,000 miles no issues, Tranny temp on a super hot South East day on I95 might have gotten to 210 at its worst. When we evacuated from NC during Florance it was a little crazy in that I was out of town on business flew in and turned around the kids, dogs, truck, trailer, and the second car in about 4 hours and hit the road. Needless to say, I was not as detailed oriented as usual when loading the trailer and truck and it probably had a little more weight than usual and probably not distributed as well as it usually is. That night I noticed both the tranny and water temp were higher than usual not crazy high just out of its normal range. We stopped to camp for the night I checked both cooling, and tranny fluid and both needed a little, so I topped them off. The next day was a nightmare of a drive on i95 south what usually took 2.5 hours to get through SC took 5, and it was hot weather wise. Once in Georgia, I transferred one of the kids and dogs to the wife's car and told them to meet me in Orlando because of the temps I planned to ride with no AC on the windows down because it seemed like that kept the temps in a more normal area. Once we got put in Florida, I got a shop that had excellent reviews to check out the truck. He said thermostat was good and the tranny fluid did not look bad, but he would recommend to just change the filter and add back what is required when doing a change, which is what I would do. He did note that the fluid was darker than he expected, but the magnet was fine when he did change it so just keep an eye on things. After that, it drove a lot better temps were back to normal, and I have probably put 6-7,000 miles on it since towing and such with no issues

After this last trip, it was during that little Feb heat wave and the temps were climbing a little higher than normal, hit 212 -215 once and the fluid is looking a little worse for the wear but not burnt by any means.

So now the question, I was going to do a complete fluid change today in the driveway. Pull the transmission line at the radiator dump about 6-7 quarts out using that method.. . Note I have no transmission issues, but I tow a lot, and I know that if the fluid is not changed, it will certainly get to be an issue. I have read a million opinions of the good and bad of changing out fluid, so I was not going to run it through until I see a good red color I was merely going to pull some out and replace.

Any thoughts on this? Should I run a complete change? I have three gallons of fluid sitting here in the garage and could do so or should I just dump 4-6 quarts and replace?

TIA

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Since the pan and filter have been R&R and no signs of debris were evident i would advise a full flush with the twelve quarts you currently have, With the benefit of not having to drop the pan! Understand you tow heavy and alot, Your trans is going to fail so start preparing for it financially and go with a quality "remanufactured" designed to tow, The trans is quite likely talking to you with higher temps from slippage/friction. Changing the fluid is allways risky on high mileage/wearing auto transmissions but based upon your description of the vehicle i would do it.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Thanks, guys this is my mindset as well.

Any suggestion on the new transmission a quick google shows a ton of places but anyone have a vendor recommendation? What should I look at with regards to upgrades for better towing?

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used circle d transmissions

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you made your mind up already but 1 more opinion for ya because ya know.....Full flush and filter imo. If it goes it goes. Id rather have peace of mind knowing its fresh fluid and filter and since its been done before I actually think you may be ok.....ish. Its not like you went to 130k on same fluid and filter andvthen serviced. Thats when, imo, you get most of your problems developing. Meh my 2 cents anyway..

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I missing here? The trans hit 210-215 a few times and we're already talking about impending failure?

Everybody does know that the "trans hot, idle engine" warning comes on at 265°, right?
And everyone knows Dex6 can go even higher than that for short periods with minimal degradation, right?

I've had my transmission much higher than 215°, it has 190k miles on it, and it still functions/shifts perfectly. I drive it hard, tow really heavy stuff, and generally abuse the hell out of it. Moving 16,000 lbs up towards the Eisenhower Tunnel:
H2EL8bV.jpg

To the OP - your transmission is not on the verge of failure. Do a full flush and keep on trucking. I do a full flush every 50k. YMMV.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Well damn, that was easy! Looks good was quick to do... @Galante I just ordered a filter an gasket. Given that was that quick I'll do that here once it comes in... Thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan