Transmission Cooler Mount Options in a Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shimmyt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I've a 2010 Chevy Tahoe with the base 5.3 and a 4L60. I've got a small travel trailer and for towing I picked up a Derale 13960. I'm looking for mounting options, i'd prefer not to go in front of the radiator (I did a lot of reading in @Geotrash thread about overheating engines and the problems of mounting it in the normal spot). I see the GMC folks that mount below the radiator have a lower grill that they can use to get air flow to it. I'm wondering what the Tahoe folks have done to mount in alternative places?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I've a 2010 Chevy Tahoe with the base 5.3 and a 4L60. I've got a small travel trailer and for towing I picked up a Derale 13960. I'm looking for mounting options, i'd prefer not to go in front of the radiator (I did a lot of reading in @Geotrash thread about overheating engines and the problems of mounting it in the normal spot). I see the GMC folks that mount below the radiator have a lower grill that they can use to get air flow to it. I'm wondering what the Tahoe folks have done to mount in alternative places?
That thing is huge, especially with the fan. Let us know your cooling temps after installation, regular driving and when towing if you don't mind.

Was there a front bumper option for the Tahoe to get more airflow into the lower area?

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 with the 5.3 and I thought they all came with the 6L80 that year. Mine has the towing package though so has the oil, trans and power steering coolers.

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shimmyt - Did you figure out where to mount it? I recently put a Derale in my 2010 Tahoe, and I think its the same model. If you are still in need of mounting location ideas, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I'd try to describe it but I need to go look at the car before I can even try to put it into words.

Joe

ridewot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you bypass the radiator ?? or added this to it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if my options were limited to having it in front of the radiator I would add a pusher fan in front of it, that should resolve any issue with it getting hot
and I would probably wire it to a key-on toggle switch and on whenever the engine is running with the toggle it could be turned off in the winter/cool weather or as desired.
on the gmt800/900's there should be room to do this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345