Transfer case rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

used97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I called drivetrain.com today the guy I talked with verrrryyyy nice actually through in a couple small parts that I needed but didn't want the other kit.

Anyways I ordered the part and as I told him I have 300000 mi on my transfer case. He told me there's a trick when putting the case together after you have split it. Chevy has a grey silicone that is not suppose to break down after you put it together. Toothpaste size tube is 25.00 bucks.

I haven't really seen s rebuild on here so hopefully I will be able to document it as I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a full rebuild the link below won't show everything, but it will help you to figure out the tricks to getting the transfer case apart and back together. It is a write up on my website on how to install the Merchant Automotive pump rub upgrade kit that defends against the dreaded pump rub leak that often causes major damage to the transfer case. This is a major issue on pre-07 models especially.

http://www.syntheticmotorsports.org/content/212-how-intall-gm-transfer-case-pump-rub-kit.html

OP
OP
used97

used97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I was wondering about the pump upgrade. I figured mine as well do it right I hate repeating jobs. I emailed you asking how much.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I was wondering about the pump upgrade. I figured mine as well do it right I hate repeating jobs. I emailed you asking how much.

Make sure and check your junk mail folder. I emailed you back and haven't heard from you so I figure that is the case.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh, not applicable for a 1997 vehicle. it was only equipped with a 241 or 243 tcase not a 246

Yerp, he's right. But the tricks for getting apart and back together during rebuild should work shouldn't they? Or are they THAT different inside so as to make it completely a different animal? I ask because I have only personally dealt with those on the Dmaxes...

EDIT: I originally posted the link thinking the tips for getting the case halves apart and back together may help.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
again not applicable for a 1997 vehicle. it was only equipped with a 241 or 243 tcase not a 246. for which this procedure applies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n