Transfer case play - is this normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I pulled our 2007 XL Denali into the garage yesterday to install a Tru-Cool transmission cooler and perform some other maintenance as well, to get it ready for the spring/summer towing season. While I was at it, I did a thorough check underneath and noticed that I have quite a bit of play in the transfer case. I recorded a video to show you. Note that the front wheels are off the ground and I'm twisting the front driveshaft. There is much less play in the rear driveshaft but that's because those wheels are still on the ground. Anyway, does this look and sound normal to you? Fluid was changed 7K ago. 214K on the odometer.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
There’s always some rotational play in a driveline. The front has more joints thus commonly more motion. The rear has only the hypoid gears and spiders. Front has that plus center disconnect (unless you’re AWD) and CV joints. It all adds up.

More concerning would be side to side (radial) play which means worn bearings or splines.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is a loose/worn chain and gears in the transfer case

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with @donjetman in that it looks like you have a worn chain in your transfer case. I had the same issue on my 2007 Denali. I started to notice a lurch or bump at take off starting around 220K. I finally got around to swapping out the transfer case at 260K.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with @donjetman in that it looks like you have a worn chain in your transfer case. I had the same issue on my 2007 Denali. I started to notice a lurch or bump at take off starting around 220K. I finally got around to swapping out the transfer case at 260K.
Thanks all - that's exactly what it feels and sounds like to me as well. And I'm also getting an occasional bump at starting out. Did you rebuild yours yourself or buy one already rebuilt and install it?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - that's exactly what it feels and sounds like to me as well. And I'm also getting an occasional bump at starting out. Did you rebuild yours yourself or buy one already rebuilt and install it?
I was able to get one from GM at cost through a friend and replaced it myself. Came with a 100K warranty. I didn't have the time or spare vehicle to try and rebuild it at the time. I might consider doing a rebuild in my garage it if I had to do it again now.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll look into it. Might be a fun project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustyn L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I just joined to comment on this, I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe that I’ve been doing some stuff to, recently noticed from a stop with med to heavy acceleration that it seems like there is a ton of play in the driveline. When accelerating I feel it as a thud, not much noise to it, but I was thinking maybe it was a t case mount or something. It feels like it’s coming from where the t case is. Do you think it could be a loose mount or just a ton of slack in the chain? Vehicle has 180k miles on it. Thank you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE