transfer case oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericnj75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 01 denali xl awd what oil should i use when i change it?

Dahlar

Reaction score
All tahoes/yukons/denalis use the GM AutoTrak II fluid. It is available at any chevy/gmc dealership and for me ran about $8 a quart and I think it was 3 quarts for a full change when I did it. I haven't found or heard of an alternative fluid for the transfer case either.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple Synchromax

synchromax.gif

http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html

I switched my transfer case fluid out a couple weeks ago for Royal Purple Synchromax and at the same time, did my front and rear diff's with Royal Purple Gear Fluid

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that ATF is supposed to be used in the T-case, it's a special fluid that GM puts out.

The GM Autotrak fluid aka "smurf juice" is the only thing that meets the GM specifications AFAIK. Maybe you'll prove us wrong.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that ATF is supposed to be used in the T-case, it's a special fluid that GM puts out.

The GM Autotrak fluid aka "smurf juice" is the only thing that meets the GM specifications AFAIK. Maybe you'll prove us wrong.

Edited my first post.

I called Royal Purples tech support as well before doing this. We swapped out all the fluids at my fathers (mechanic) shop, so if something happens, he'll be rebuilding the tranny and we'll go ahead and beef it up at the same time.

Royal Purples website says...

Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid. It’s also ideal for 4×4 transfer cases and motorcycle gear boxes. Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials. It provides excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. That should be alright then...I was getting nervous about the ATF lol.

Robert.K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the royalpurple, did my transfer cases and differentials too with it, and have the power steering, trans, and oil. the whole line in my Truck! High recommended and have had no problems. but I do think the next oil change i get I will switch up 10w30 instead of the 5w30 im running now. Seems to thin.

OP
OP
E

ericnj75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my repair manual says that 149np is to use dexron III atf is this right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz