BW4485 (NR3) awd Transfer Case Rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HardHead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks, there are some things they don't show on YouTube. I found that the output pilot bushing was terribly loose and full of gunk. It had built up so badly, it had pushed the shaft to one side and rubbed a funny spot on the output shaft.

Also, the drive sprocket bushing was several thousands out, which made a big wobble and the chain a little looser than it should be. I replaced that bushing and wow, not NEARLY as much play, just a tiny bit.

I did learn how to time the 60/40 planetary gear. Pretty simple, but I was tired and turned to YouTube.

Thing is, when I washed it out, I felt more needed to be done. So, brake cleaner in hand I began to wash and spin each set of gear combinations. MAN...lots of bronze dusk was on my towel. SO, I blew it dry, put down a fresh towel and did it again. Just as much bronze as before. Did it a third time, and again, lots of bronze dust. By the fourth time I still had some bronze but now it was an acceptable level. Now...this was done after a good cleaning in the parts washer.

I feel the BW4485 could have benefitted from pilot roller bearings rather than bronze bushings. OR at least require a fluid change every 36K miles.

Thing is, the bushings are cheap. Took a while to find the correct ones.
Oh, there is a bushing behind the slip yoke seal on the rear output.
The toughest one is pressed into the rear output shaft. Used a pilot bearing expandable hammer puller. Took a while, but finally got it. Pressing in, no issues.

Forgot to mention, 214K miles...and I think she was really abused. I also think someone had been in this T case before. The sealant looked layered.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, there are some things they don't show on YouTube. I found that the output pilot bushing was terribly loose and full of gunk. It had built up so badly, it had pushed the shaft to one side and rubbed a funny spot on the output shaft.

Also, the drive sprocket bushing was several thousands out, which made a big wobble and the chain a little looser than it should be. I replaced that bushing and wow, not NEARLY as much play, just a tiny bit.

I did learn how to time the 60/40 planetary gear. Pretty simple, but I was tired and turned to YouTube.

Thing is, when I washed it out, I felt more needed to be done. So, brake cleaner in hand I began to wash and spin each set of gear combinations. MAN...lots of bronze dusk was on my towel. SO, I blew it dry, put down a fresh towel and did it again. Just as much bronze as before. Did it a third time, and again, lots of bronze dust. By the fourth time I still had some bronze but now it was an acceptable level. Now...this was done after a good cleaning in the parts washer.

I feel the BW4485 could have benefitted from pilot roller bearings rather than bronze bushings. OR at least require a fluid change every 36K miles.

Thing is, the bushings are cheap. Took a while to find the correct ones.
Oh, there is a bushing behind the slip yoke seal on the rear output.
The toughest one is pressed into the rear output shaft. Used a pilot bearing expandable hammer puller. Took a while, but finally got it. Pressing in, no issues.

Forgot to mention, 214K miles...and I think she was really abused. I also think someone had been in this T case before. The sealant looked layered.
Nice job! Thanks for sharing your findings with us. Imma have to dig into mine sometime in the next couple of years, so this is super helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts