2002 yukon denali xl transfer case and trans service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardriver333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I have the frame off of my yukon right now and I'd like to service as much as I can while it's easy to get to. I noticed the transfer case has been leaking, probably from the driveshaft connection and also it seems like a hose is disconnected (the red arrows). I'll include a picture and hopefully someone can tell me if everything looks alright, thanks. Also, what should I service before the cab goes back on? I definitely wanna refresh seals and fluids and do as much preventative maintenance as I can right now. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240223_123243.jpg
    20240223_123243.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 4

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are breather hoses. It's normal to be like that.

You could do the pump rub mod. Will need to open the halves and change that, then put it back together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cardriver333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry my first picture isn't great, this plastic fitting looks like it should go into a hose or something

Attachments

• 20240223_131254.jpg
    20240223_131254.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 3

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your ABS module been giving you any problems? If it isn't already, it soon will. At the very least, I would check the condition of those normally-inaccessible boltheads, loosen them 1 at a time and give them a coat of NeverSeize.

OP
OP
C

Cardriver333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know, I only drove it 10 miles since buying it and pulled the body off. Just wondering, what is the purpose for putting never sieze on the bolts?

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I only drove it 10 miles since buying it and pulled the body off. Just wondering, what is the purpose for putting never sieze on the bolts?
The ABS unit is a common failure in these vehicles - the solder points break and cause the ABS failure warning light in your cluster to activate. The screws holding the electrical part that you will need to remove to fix this are small and prone to stripping the heads when trying to loosen them, mainly due to their inaccessible location. Best to do this now so it's not so much a pain later.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what is the purpose for putting never sieze on the bolts?
Tell me you don’t live in the rust belt without saying you don’t live in the rust belt. :p

Anti-seize is a great preemptive strike against a bolt seizing up and causing problems in the future, particularly if your car is exposed to road salt and such. As mention, how GM designed the ABS module mounting, those bolts are a pain to get to simply because of their location. You get a little rust involved and it’s a major PITA.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry my first picture isn't great, this plastic fitting looks like it should go into a hose or something
That hose on mine is attached to body may of pulled it off fitting when removing body but yes that's where it goes for vent.

OP
OP
C

Cardriver333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Haha yeah, I'm not in the rust belt. I'm gonna do that pump rub mod, is there a kit that everyone likes and should I update anything else while I have it out? I think I need the seals for the drive and trans shafts... and is this too much play in the chain?20240227_152311.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cardriver333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The picture doesn't really show it, but there's a tiny pin hole on the housing so I'll need that too20240227_161821.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019