BW4485 (NR3) awd Transfer Case Rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 awd Denali w/193k miles.
No leaks but I think the chain is stretched.
Has anybody rebuilt their Borg Warner BW4485 (rpo code NR3) awd transfer case?
and did it reduce the Clunk?
I've watched some videos and the job looks easy enough and parts cost is about $300.
TIA

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
07 awd Denali w/193k miles.
No leaks but I think the chain is stretched.
Has anybody rebuilt their Borg Warner BW4485 (rpo code NR3) awd transfer case?
and did it reduce the Clunk?
I've watched some videos and the job looks easy enough and parts cost is about $300.
TIA
Following. I'm in the same boat with my '07 and for now I'm planning to just continue running it, but the clunk is annoying and I've done both the motor and diff mounts already. Rock Auto sells the chain and seals, but the planetary gears inside look intimidating to work with, and I'd like to know what else I should replace while I'm in there.

I took this video 20K miles ago and it certainly hasn't gotten any tighter. My 2012 doesn't have this play but I think it's also a different AWD transfer case.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
ChiefM did in his 07 Esky over on the CF forum, along with almost every single component on the truck. Sift through the pages and see what he ran into. I searched transfer case under his user name.

"ChiefM, post:
Going back strictly stock.
I didn't think of getting a new flex plate, I think I'm going to get a new Harmonic balancer and motor mounts too. I already have a new radiator and a new chain for the transfer case. Thinking of a new power steering pump, that's really the only thing on the engine I have not changed out.

This should get her to where I only have to do routine maintenance. Everything else on the truck is 1 to 3 years old at max.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you priced what it would cost to farm out the job? If it's less than $1K, I'll probably see if the local 4x4 shop can do it.
No, after watching some utube vids and seeing how easy it is too do, I'd do it myself for sure (I have a 2 post lift).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, after watching some utube vids and seeing how easy it is too do, I'd do it myself for sure (I have a 2 post lift).
That's what I was hoping you'd say. :naughty: I'll live vicariously through your experience and do the same myself, though I only have a lowly horrible freight transmission jack.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The xfer case and diff are one of GM’s unsung, boring components that I love not worrying about.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed and watching this. Sooner or later I will have to replace the chain in the BW 4485 in my Escalade.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz