Transfer case leaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, the rear of my transfer case is bone dry, I see no fluid near the rear bolts or anywhere further to the rear. The picture does make the rear case bolts glossy but they aren't wet.

I only see fluid collecting near the front and near the black motor.
My transmission fluid level seems ok.
Also the fluid dripping is a nice red color, looking around it seems fluid in the tcase should be blue?
Maybe it was the front where I saw the drips. FLuid should be blue if you have autotrac in your Tcase. (Auto 4wd on the dash buttons). Leak could be coming from gasket at Tcase to Tranny adapter, pan gasket, or tranny front seal.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a quote from my transmission guy for $650 to reseal the transfer case, all gaskets bushings seals, and install a pump rub kit as a preventative measure before that fails, he also recommended I consider getting a new chain, and mentioned that you really can't tell if they are loose or not, but only recommended it for high mileage and if it was used a lot, I may not bother with the chain

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a quote from my transmission guy for $650 to reseal the transfer case, all gaskets bushings seals, and install a pump rub kit as a preventative measure before that fails, he also recommended I consider getting a new chain, and mentioned that you really can't tell if they are loose or not, but only recommended it for high mileage and if it was used a lot, I may not bother with the chain
You can absolutelly tell if a chain is stretched out of spec by measuring its length. Its all in the Factory Service Manual. Seems kinds of odd to open up a high mileage Tcase and replace the seals and bushings but not the chain and bearings. $650 is a little on the high side for just seals and bushings. Pump rub plate is $20 or so. For around $850-$1000 you can get a totally remanned Tcase.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He had said just inspecting the chain without removing wouldn't be able to tell if it's stretched. I was able to clarify with him $650 includes replacing the chain. I will see about also getting the bearings done.
Thanks for the info

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
Mine started leaking last week. Took it in to my local mechanic and they found where it was leaking. Looks like pump rub. It only has 160K miles on it so I wouldn't think the transfer case would need to be rebuilt, just a rear case replacement would probably do it... along with a case saver. Now all I have to do is find someone around Greensboro, NC area that knows about these things and can fix it. I don't have time to take something on like this myself so if anyone knows of a good transmission place, please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk