Transfer case leaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found Zep products to be great for degreasing. Orange Concentrate and Green Heavy Duty. I found Home Depot sells them but I started using their products in Industrial Applications. I had a Oil Sender blow and it coated the entire under carriage with oil. I sprayed it on concentrated, waited a few minutes and then pressure washed it right off.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've found Zep products to be great for degreasing. Orange Concentrate and Green Heavy Duty. I found Home Depot sells them but I started using their products in Industrial Applications. I had a Oil Sender blow and it coated the entire under carriage with oil. I sprayed it on concentrated, waited a few minutes and then pressure washed it right off.
Have you ever used this stuff. Holy Smokes!

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Finally got around to looking at this more and have watched many videos on the transfer case. Used brake clean to degrease the underside of case and the area by output seal. Changed output seal since the tail was pretty gooped up. The top of case has no wet areas, only the bottom of the case, mostly by the 246 badge. I would imagine after watching some videos I would be able to pinpoint where it's leaking, but I don't see any visible leaks, cracks or pinholes. I had my wife change from reverse to drive while idling and I was under to see if it would create the leak point. NOPE! Nothing leaking from seal on bottom or case or bolts. Very strange. I am going on a trip that is close to 300 miles each way this wknd! I'm bringing extra fluid just in case.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Finally got around to looking at this more and have watched many videos on the transfer case. Used brake clean to degrease the underside of case and the area by output seal. Changed output seal since the tail was pretty gooped up. The top of case has no wet areas, only the bottom of the case, mostly by the 246 badge. I would imagine after watching some videos I would be able to pinpoint where it's leaking, but I don't see any visible leaks, cracks or pinholes. I had my wife change from reverse to drive while idling and I was under to see if it would create the leak point. NOPE! Nothing leaking from seal on bottom or case or bolts. Very strange. I am going on a trip that is close to 300 miles each way this wknd! I'm bringing extra fluid just in case.
Wash it down and drive it a bit. then take another look.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Drove it again and there was a few drops of fluid. Still can't locate the damn leak! The 246 badge is held on by small screw. Could that be a potential spot for a leak? 20220331_121515_resized.jpg20220331_121550_resized.jpg20220331_121835_resized.jpg20220331_122053_resized.jpg20220331_121948_resized.jpg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The red dots are where you will typically see the small rub through holes created by Tcase pump wearing through the case.

OP I am concerned with the area circled in yellow. It appears you might have a hole. Id wire brush the circled in yellow area and look real close. Seems to be alot of grime sticking to the case in that area.

Attachments

• 246e pump rub area.jpg
    246e pump rub area.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my trans rebuilt within the last 5k miles and my mechanic that did it changed the fluid in my transfer case and mentioned the drain plug being too tight he had to drill it out, and if tightened too much would split the case.
I have noticed some drips forming but in a different location. I am a noob in regards to looking at this transfer case but a quick learner.
Can anyone take a look at these pics maybe point me in the right direction or what to investigate. Seems pump rub and a hole forming is common but not what I am seeing on mine.
The rear is dry but the front has obvious drips. The drips are not bad enough to leave any fluid on the ground, I just spend a lot of time looking at every inch of my truck and noticed this.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220707_130808.jpg
    20220707_130808.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220707_130743.jpg
    20220707_130743.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220707_130842.jpg
    20220707_130842.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220707_132854.jpg
    20220707_132854.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220707_132906.jpg
    20220707_132906.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 5

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my trans rebuilt within the last 5k miles and my mechanic that did it changed the fluid in my transfer case and mentioned the drain plug being too tight he had to drill it out, and if tightened too much would split the case.
I have noticed some drips forming but in a different location. I am a noob in regards to looking at this transfer case but a quick learner.
Can anyone take a look at these pics maybe point me in the right direction or what to investigate. Seems pump rub and a hole forming is common but not what I am seeing on mine.
The rear is dry but the front has obvious drips. The drips are not bad enough to leave any fluid on the ground, I just spend a lot of time looking at every inch of my truck and noticed this.
Thanks in advance
Your case looks like it is wet at the rear and I suspect pump rub through. I would wipe down and inspect real close in the area circled in blue and even the opposite side of the case as well. Your leak is significant and I would also check fluid level of case and top off as needed.

Attachments

• 246e pump rub area_LI.jpg
    246e pump rub area_LI.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your case looks like it is wet at the rear and I suspect pump rub through. I would wipe down and inspect real close in the area circled in blue and even the opposite side of the case as well. Your leak is significant and I would also check fluid level of case and top off as needed.
Thanks for the input, the rear of my transfer case is bone dry, I see no fluid near the rear bolts or anywhere further to the rear. The picture does make the rear case bolts glossy but they aren't wet.

I only see fluid collecting near the front and near the black motor.

Edit:
Checked transmission fluid level it looks ok.
Checked tcase fluid level at the fill port, got blue fluid coming out right away so level looks good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick