Transfer case wiring adapter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here, I usually just read forums to figure out what’s going on and it’s been a huge help, but I can’t find anything like what I’m struggling with right now.
The transfer case on my 2003 Yukon was a victim of pump rub and I didn’t notice until it was too late and the truck had to be towed. I elected to try and replace the transfer case with one from a junkyard and to install merchant automotive’s pump upgrade kit to save money. I found one that looked in good condition and the tag matched (246 GM). My problem is that the wiring harness for the shift motor is different than what I have, and I’m also unable to just move the shift motor over from my old transfer case because the gears are different.
Would some sort of adapter for the wiring harness work? I couldn’t find any, I couldn’t find any that seemed to match, but I could have missed it. Any ideas are appreciated!
Pictures are attached of the wiring harnesses and gears for the shift motors
UPDATE: After doing some more research it looks like the wiring connectors on the new shift motor is from a '99-'02 truck, and mine is an '03. I'm still hopeful an adapter might work but I haven't found one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2184.jpeg
    IMG_2184.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2183.jpeg
    IMG_2183.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can find a wire diagram or if the wires are the same color and in the same place, you can take the pig tail plugs apart and move the wires to the right plug.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

duffyboby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, im in the process of looking for a tcase and dont have the truck close by for now, OP in the pictures you posted, which one is the 02- connector? Mine is an 02 and I cant go check under it in a timely manner.

burnthelight88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wiring harness might be able to be overcome, but the encoder motor won't be from what I know of them - I just swapped my 246GM as well, 2002 model. The encoder motor is pretty expensive, so you're probably better off getting the right case for your year rather than trying to swap a bunch of parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan