Transfer Case Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Postmark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe that won't move, it's almost like the transfer case is locked up. I pulled the driveshafts, everything turns. I pulled the encoder motor off, I was able to shift the case manually with no problems, and front axle is free in 2HI. I put another encoder motor on that i had laying around, and with the ignition on and engine off, everything seemed to be ok. However, once I started the engine I was right back to things acting like they're locked up. TCCM bad? First time with one of these.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it move in 2H? If so, do you know the history of the truck? Could someone have swapped the rear differential (or front for that matter) and mismatched the ratio?

OP
OP
P

Postmark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It does not move in 2H, 4H,4L, or neutral. I don't know the history, the previous owner said it stopped moving and he had to have it towed. It seems like the TCCM is telling the encoder to stay in between modes and binding things up.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to rule out a brake issue, will any tires turn when jacked up and in neutral, engine off?

It sounds like you have the NV243 case (pushbutton 2H, 4H, 4L but no Auto). Do you have a good scanner (Tech2 or similar) to check for any transfer case codes? Does it complete the shift and the appropriate button light stays lit?

The TCCM should be under the dash and pretty accessible. A junkyard swap probably wouldn’t be the worst thing to try.

24C6598B-B59A-46CD-A406-4DF96D9A6386.gif

OP
OP
P

Postmark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's the 246. Not a brake issue. Key on, engine off, everything seemed to be ok after I swapped the encoder motor. Once I started the engine, it locked up everything again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe that won't move, it's almost like the transfer case is locked up. I pulled the driveshafts, everything turns. I pulled the encoder motor off, I was able to shift the case manually with no problems, and front axle is free in 2HI. I put another encoder motor on that i had laying around, and with the ignition on and engine off, everything seemed to be ok. However, once I started the engine I was right back to things acting like they're locked up. TCCM bad? First time with one of these.
Be nice to know the internal trouble codes so you're not guessing.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack it up, remove Tcase shifter motor, shift tcase manually thru all modes and verify by axles. Possibly stuck between on shift.

OP
OP
P

Postmark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jack it up, remove Tcase shifter motor, shift tcase manually thru all modes and verify by axles. Possibly stuck between on shift.
I've done that. As soon as I start the truck, it reverts to being stuck in between.