Trans Service Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
The manual for my wife's 2012 LS 2WD 5.3 6speed Tahoe lists 97,500 miles as the first interval for the transmission service. Surprisingly, the dealer is the cheapest in town. I would do this myself, but from what I understand, an exhaust pipe interferes with dropping the pan, and I don't really want to fool with prying the exhaust with a helper, etc

I called the dealer to inquire about this, and they seemed surprised that I requested a filter change. They tell me that they usually only drain and fill the fluid, I'm guessing with an extraction pump or fluid exchange tool

Is skipping the filter becoming a common practice? In the service manual for my Zippy Zoomy Mazda, it states that a filter change is usually unnecessary

Thoughts?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manual for my wife's 2012 LS 2WD 5.3 6speed Tahoe lists 97,500 miles as the first interval for the transmission service. Surprisingly, the dealer is the cheapest in town. I would do this myself, but from what I understand, an exhaust pipe interferes with dropping the pan, and I don't really want to fool with prying the exhaust with a helper, etc

I called the dealer to inquire about this, and they seemed surprised that I requested a filter change. They tell me that they usually only drain and fill the fluid, I'm guessing with an extraction pump or fluid exchange tool

Is skipping the filter becoming a common practice? In the service manual for my Zippy Zoomy Mazda, it states that a filter change is usually unnecessary

Thoughts?
If 100K is the first fluid change, I vote for a filter change as well. Though even just having a reputable quick lube shop (e.g. Valvoline Instant Oil Change) do a proper fluid exchange will benefit you if you don't want to spend the cash right now.

That said, I took my 2012 to a well-regarded local indy transmission shop and they did a great job for a reasonable cost on a complete fluid and filter change. And I took my 2007 to Valvoline when I bought it 30K ago.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny my dealer told me they are required to drop the pan and change filter when doing a transmission service, per GM supposedly
they won't do a drain and fill or pump it out/refill, etc.
at any rate I would recommend doing it annually, or no more than 40k miles, regardless of what the "book" says
maybe it helps and maybe it doesn't it's a gamble but my independent trans shop requires a annual flush for warranty to remain intact. For me that's usually less than 20k and I am fine with that.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the pan. Replace the filter. Clean everything up.. Fill with Dex VI fluid....
Do this every 25K or so depending on usage.
DONE

Jonmurphy

Reaction score

Thoughts?
What are cons.. The trans filter will be filthy You have to change your oil at 50,000 miles or before And the filter a top grade no cheap crap , good r NapA.. Complete kit is about $36 with the discount. If you want that transmission the last for 400,000 miles you'll put another in line filler On it Change it every 10,000 miles and you have to keep the transmission temperature below 180That means you have to put an extra cooler on if idea is About 150F..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160