Tranny Problem(don't know whats wrong)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was picking up speed to merge onto the interstate and all i heard was a grinding noise and the Tahoe died. So i cranked it back up and it wouldn't engage into any of the gears its stuck in neutral from what I can tell..Its a 1996 with 4L60E and has manual transfer case

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine died on you when you heard the grinding noise? If you dropped it into low gear and hi RPM to mergerge you may have blown the 2-3 planetary or clutch pack. The 4L60 is a little weak in that area. Check oil and level, transfer case, will it shift if you select low 4wd? You may have torqued a motor mount and pulled the shifter linkage out of synch. Lots of variables, need more info.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if in grinds any time it is in gear and not when not yet vehicle can still move freely regardless you may have snapped the output shaft. being as how you have a tcase installed the only way to tell for sure is to remove the tcase. any other details on failure?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A busted planetary will grind too, the planetary is a common failure, my first trans failure was due to that.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the SES light came on the night before but never got a chance to get it checked and now cant drive it to get it checked...it was in 2wd when it happened and i tried putting in 4wd but nothing happened..it was in drive also when it happened... now when i try and shift it into gear i dnt feel it even try to engage

I just need to narrow it down to make sure its the transmission is the problem cause if it is i think im just going to leave it sitting until i can afford to buy a rebuilt one from MonsterTrans.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
When mine died if i left it off for a while then put it in gear it let me drive home then slipped and crapped out

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might also be a bad Transfer case I agree with sunlit (per his insight) If your transfer case is really bad you won't be able to move at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401