Tranny Problem(don't know whats wrong)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity what all would I need from a donor truck in order to swap the nv4500 from it into my Tahoe

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a shop pretty close to where my Tahoe is now sitting that says they will do a stock rebuild of my transmission for $1,325 completly installed and I belive that he said new converter included. Now here is my list of things that im going to have him install in place of the normal stock parts.

ALTO Red bands
"Beast" Sun Shell
5 Pinion planetary gears
Raybestos Max Pac 3/4 clutch set

I was wondering if there where a few other parts that might be beneficial to this build. And if your wondering my Tahoe is a family ride. I usually only tow camping stuff and ATV's. Offroad only when needed, and I tend to get road rage and floor it to catch up or get around other drivers.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def want a new convertor or have yours gone thru. Get a quality shift kit and have that installed at the same time, that will correct a few issues that a stock rebuild won't. Forget the beast Sunshell, get the Sonnax Smartshell instead and for the steels use the GM turbolator steels instead of the typical hi-po Kolene stuff.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def want a new convertor or have yours gone thru. Get a quality shift kit and have that installed at the same time, that will correct a few issues that a stock rebuild won't. Forget the beast Sunshell, get the Sonnax Smartshell instead and for the steels use the GM turbolator steels instead of the typical hi-po Kolene stuff.

Could you give me some ideas of quality shift kits. Whats the advantage of Smartshell over the Beast sun shell. And are the Turbulator steels only for Low/Reverse or are they used elsewhere in the transmission

Oh and I ment to ask if it is worth getting the corvette servo since I dnt have a tune

Last edited:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes corvette servo is a good idea with or without the shift kit, should have mentioned that before.

I used a Superior Shift kit, most people like the Trans Go. I would be happy with either.

The Turboaltor steels are low reverse and reverse input only.

I'll post the pics of the smart shell vs beast sunshell later when I find them. Basically the new smart shell rides on a thurst bearring instead of a washer and the way it transfers force is better, you can do a google search, I'm sure it will make sense when you see it.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes corvette servo is a good idea with or without the shift kit, should have mentioned that before.

I used a Superior Shift kit, most people like the Trans Go. I would be happy with either.

The Turboaltor steels are low reverse and reverse input only.

I'll post the pics of the smart shell vs beast sunshell later when I find them. Basically the new smart shell rides on a thurst bearring instead of a washer and the way it transfers force is better, you can do a google search, I'm sure it will make sense when you see it.

Awesome, thanks for the input ill add these to my list of items and ill google those sun shells to see what your talking about

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after looking at my list and the price of the new parts I have on it and how much more its is going to cast me I am rethinking my startegy a little here.So as I have told you my rig is just a family ride thats does some light towing. And once it it no longer used as a family ride is when I plan on stepping up to a 383 but of coarse that is years from now and I want be using my 4l60 behind a 383.

So with that said here is my new idea. I have him upgrade me to the 7 plate setup thats in the 4l65E as well as the 5 pinion planetary, shift kit, corvette servo, and sonnax smart shell.

My logic is that if I get the shift kit and corvette servo those will save some wear on my friction pads by firming up the shifts and since im not going to be adding any power to my rig for now the OEM 4l65E pads should hold up fine for everyday driving. Correct me if Im wrong just trying to keep from spending to much on this project.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's basically what I did, stepped my 4L60 up to beyond a 4L65 to hold up to my next engine. Good plan and it doesn't cost that much more. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076